Sunnuto Vyper download USB cable incompatible with Windows 10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just upgraded - without apparent problem - to Window 10. When I plugged my transfer cable into the computer I get a Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area fault and the computer reboots. It doesn't matter if the cable is connected to the Vyper or not. If I leave the cable in the computer continually reboots. I tried other USB ports on my computer and get the same thing. I then plugged the cable into my old machine (which IRRC is Win7) and the cable seems OK.

Any ideas? I guess I can try to reinstall Win8, but that doesn't seem to be a long term solution.

You are not the first to find that Win 10 does not play nice with prior software on the machine.

From what I've understood in these situations, you may need a Win 10 compatible driver upgrade--assuming the manufacturer made one available. Failing that (as the problem), I would go back to your previous Windows version using Win 10's built-in option that allows you to do so. After all, you know that one works.

And yes, it's what I had to do on my desktop when Win 10 didn't play nice with my installed programs.

Well as a workaround you could always go back to a serial interface.
I have a DIY Suunto-serial cable that I built for about 5USD in parts - it seems ready built Suunto-serial cables are fairly easily found on the second-hand market.
I use it with a cheap USB-Serial adapter that cost me a just a few USD and that upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 without any problems.

Suunto has escalated the issue and asked for an error dump - which I have provided. Since returning to Win 8 is only easy in the first 30 days I have also done that. Problem solved for now. This 'proves' it isn't a broken cable, but an incompatibility with Win 10.

Suunto has escalated the issue and asked for an error dump - which I have provided. Since returning to Win 8 is only easy in the first 30 days I have also done that.

FWIW, Dell charges extra $50 to ship their higher-end stuff with Lose'8 instead of the default '10-Home. Consider it saving a fifty. :wink:

It works, I don't know if I did anything special to be honest. I'd be happy to help you get it working though. I'm in IT so whatever "fix" I did would have been second nature and I wouldn't have thought to keep it in my mind. I'll check what driver version i'm running in a bit.

Dave

Ugh! Getting the blue screen again - this time in Win8.1 I tried the above driver without help (but not in Win10 - so it may still work).

Update. Still no response back from Suunto. I have sent them a reminder and further information today. I reinstalled Win10 and tried the driver in the previous post. No change, still get the blue screen. I can download if I do it on a Win7 machine in the house, but I'm stuck with DM5 (DM3 is much better and has more functions for me) and only part of the info transfers to DM3 (runtime is lost and not enterable in DM3).

I bought a genuine Suunto cable and that doesn't change anything either. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm beginning to think it may be some weird glitch in my specific computer.

Back
Top Bottom