Sunnto Vytec, Backlighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenSquirrel

Reaction score
Has anybody else had trouble getting their Vytec to backlight?
When I activate the computer I get the display test, battery test, and the backlight comes on. Before I hit the water, I can hold the "smart button" for 2 seconds and the backlight comes on.

Once the computer is in "dive mode" the backlight will not come on. I have double checked that my "light preference" is set to "on". Any ideas?

I have only used it in "Air Mode" and I have used it with and without the transmitter.

The Suunto computers have a very weak back light. During the day you may not even notice it. At Night it is just enough to see. Not their stongest point!

Hallmac

scubatexastony once bubbled...
I have other Suunto models, but are you thinking the light should remain "on"? Have you tried the smart botton underwater? That's the way the other computers work..... never continous light, saves your battery.
tony

I'm supposed to hold the "Smart Button" for two seconds and then the backlight is supposed to come on for 5 seconds. I can get the light to come on, just not when I'm diving. I get a lot of dives in after work which turn into dusk/night dives and this is when I noticed it.

The last time I tried I was on a true night dive so the water was very dark. I should have seen something change about the display. I guess I'll try one more time tonight.

Try holding the button down for MORE than 2 sec. I thought my light was busted as well.. but hold it down longer... the annoying thing with the Vytec is the rubber boot that actually makes it more difficult to push the buttons.

You can download the manual from the Suunto web site and knw for sure

I have no problem with my Vytec, and for me, the boot makes it much easier to press the button with the thick gloves I have on.

ZenSquirrel,

I have the same trouble with my Cobra. All is well when you are not in dive mode - get underwater, and no backlight!

I am going to try jplacsons' advice (push Smart button longer) next weekend. Hope to hae some success.:)

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA once bubbled...
ZenSquirrel,

I have the same trouble with my Cobra. All is well when you are not in dive mode - get underwater, and no backlight!

I am going to try jplacsons' advice (push Smart button longer) next weekend. Hope to hae some success.:)

Cheers,

Andrew

Whew, I was starting to feel like I was taking crazy pills. I have confirmed my problem, I did a true night dive on Wednesday and I held my "smart button" for 10 seconds to no avail. Oh well, it is easier to just aim my light at it to read it then to hold my smart button for 2 seconds anyway.

Actually, it's just supposed to be 1 sec...

I found it strange too... but I was able to get my Vytec to light up... I still have to observe it more though...

I have noticed that the rubber boot does have something to do with it... SOMETIMES it doesn't reach the button when you press it. And you have to press down pretty hard. I think it varies from boot to boot. I'm gonna try to stick a small rubber sheet to the bottom of the boot to make it touch the button...right now, it floats about 1 mm above the buttons on my Vytec.

If you guys want to experiement on it, dunk it in a basin with water... about 1 foot deep.... this makes it go into dive mode already and you can see if you can make it light up. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom