Sunken Ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bburns24

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I posted this on another thread, No Market for Tech? I started this thread a while back when returning from points north. It may suit this forum better:

SUNKEN SHIPS - Mexico

You have to hear this. I returned to Manzanillo between Vallarta and Acapulco, Mexico. Before I left I was getting "use to" diving my doubles by going out with Mariano and some divemasters with Nautilus a local "PADI dive training center".

They work out of one of the local resorts and do tours so I just payed the $85 dollars and used my gear. Hoping if anything went wrong I was with qualified instructors and divemasters. I did a quick Nitrox course with them and when I went to pick up my temporary card I got telling them about my IDA-71 mCCR conversion and interest in Tech. The owner Jorje must of thought it was interesting.

I returned from St. Thomas (via Dallas) and he has since done some MEG training and purchased 4 sets of doubles and gear. He is now doing Tech training along with instructor training at his school with IANTD. So I'll be training with Jorje on Tech starting Tuesday while I finish my instructors and wait for my IE.

Market for Tech - I mentioned this to Jorje. He is busy with this school, just recieved his five stars and is building it slowly, the thing is - he's bored. Diving Manzanillo all his life he doesn't want to get into the water. So he's going Tech. (He says about 2% of his students are interested).

He was saying that in '59 a hurricane came through and sank seven ships off the coast here. Nobody has yet dove them as I understand. We are contacting the Harbor Authority and the Navy to find locations. The hope is at least one or two are in 150'-300' of sea water. After our training we are going to go find these and hopefully people will be able to dive these for $200-300 just bring fins, and mask. (Airfare to Manzanillo $600 from LA - direct flight OR Four nights at an all inclusive Resort plus airfare $1291)

So how about this for things working out, fingers crossed. If we find these ships and they are within 2-3 hours of shore and within reasonable depths - plan a long weekend about three months from now with a couple of your buddies and come to Manzanillo for two days of Tech diving - four nights hotel at an All Inclusive resort (Karmina Palace) with airfare for less than $2000. Jorje will supply boat, double 80's, stage tanks, (Backplate, Wing, Reg if needed), classroom. For the first while (3-6 months) these expeditions will be with an IANTD instructor - I presume - until a divemaster can get trained up. If Instruction is needed book to attend the IANTD course and spend some extra time.

Book through me and I'll be joining you thats for sure.

An article regarding the storm and then names of the ships.

Attachments

• lost ships.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 149
That article was published November 18, 1881?

You're right. Looks like one of the articles is from 1881, the plan as it stands is to start at the archives here in Mexico and find any references to (apparently) both hurricanes.

In total I think I counted 9 ships in the area.

I recently dove a site in the BVI that went down in 1867, water conditions being different it may affect the condition of the ships we will see.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
We have gone to Historical Society and spoke there. Interesting fact, when ships are lost in Hurricanes most are put ashore, not sunk. I'll have to get you some photos that they have.

The Sinaloa was sunk, and one known survivor is still alive. He lives 15 minutes from here and we will be going to interview him soon. This may help with last location.

Visited Navy today. Good news. In 2006 they scuttled a Navy Vessel, name and type to come, 3.5hrs drive from here. (Not as close as we would like but the van is comfortable.) This ship is in 20-60 msw. We have a map of the exact location the proposed sinking was going to be although there was some talk that the day of the sinking they had approaching weather and it was scuttled early. Military precision being what it is I don't know if this is fact or fiction.

Also a wall was pointed out from Jorge, 20m to 149m, he's interest in looked at this, it is very close and may be a nice location for training.

I'll keep you informed of how this goes.
Bryan

Last edited:
The vessel is the "Valle" PO-101, 300' in length and at 20-30 msw.

I drove last night to Caleta de Campos, Mexico. The 3.5 hrs actually took 5. The closest airport is Ixtapa, 2-3 hrs south of the ship. The entire time it was raining and for 100m from shore you can see the sediment mixing with the pacific, I also didn't bring my gear - I wasn't planning on diving the ship yesterday anyway.

I arrived at the harbor and asked the first group of people I came across. Everybody there knows where the ship is, I was told that on a clear day you can even see it from the surface. Not deep enough. Nobody dives it. A commercial diver lives 1 hr south in Larenzo Cardenas and two locals are known for having gear, one has a compressor. Maybe they have dove it?

I'm going to return next weekend to have a look myself weather permitting.

I did hear that this ship was sunk with fanfare. News coverage and locals watched the "shooting down" of it. Another ship that was sunk, around the same time, didn't get the same treatment and was scuttled somewhere else, probably far away. One person said he doesn't remember hearing an explosion so maybe it never was sunk. They are sure that if it was it is in deeper water and they don't know where this vessel is.

I'm going to return to the Navy to ask about this one.

Still waiting to hear the name of the survivor of the Sinaloa so we can go visit him. This week I hope. I'll see about getting those Hurricane photos as well.

Translated article about Leandro Valle - original in spanish below.

Municipalities
Caleta de Campos
Sinking of the ship Leandro Valley PB-101, without ceremony authorities
Monday June 5, 2006
Felix Rivera
Change of Michoacan

The Ministry of the Navy Mexican Navy, through the Naval Zone VI, yesterday suspended the ceremony in which the governor Lázaro Cárdenas Batel and a number of authorities and more guests, witnessed the sinking of the patrol vessel, Leandro Valle RB-101, beachfront of Caleta de Campos.

This, due to heavy rains and tidal waves that were felt during the early hours of yesterday Sunday, so the unit determined to sink the ship without waiting for the presence of a representative government and other guests to avoid any problems, because the voyage from the port towards Caleta de Campos was going to perform on board a tugboat.

In any event, the Navy promised to comply with the state government, the donation of this former patrol vessel, to be sunk, which already was also compared to Caleta de Campos, to serve as a tourist attraction, for diving and sports for the hull of the boat becomes shortly, in a natural reef for generating banks of marine species.

As regards the report of the meteorological service, Captain of the Port of this place, extreme precautions recommended for navigation from Salina Cruz, Oaxaca, to Manzanillo, Colima, by strong waves and rain that would cause the tropical depression E - 2, which in the early hours of yesterday became a tropical storm and that according to the forecast, made landfall 10 kilometres east of Zihuatanejo and 78 kilometres of Lázaro Cárdenas, where only in the morning was left feeling a slight drizzle, and then disappear the overcast and give way to strong sun forever.

Municipios
Caleta de Campos
Hundimiento del buque Leandro Valle PO-101, sin ceremonia de autoridades
Lunes 5 de Junio de 2006
Félix Rivera
Cambio de Michoacán

La Secretaría de Marina Armada de México, a través de la VI Zona Naval, suspendió ayer la ceremonia en la que el gobernador Lázaro Cárdenas Batel y una serie de autoridades más e invitados, presenciarían el hundimiento del buque patrulla, Leandro Valle PO-101, frente a la playa de Caleta de Campos.

Esto, debido a las fuertes marejadas y lluvias que se dejaron sentir durante la madrugada de ayer domingo, por lo que la dependencia determinó hundir el navío sin esperar la presencia del mandatario estatal y demás invitados, para evitar algún problema, pues la travesía del puerto hacia Caleta de Campos se iba a realizar a bordo de un remolcador.

Como quiera que sea, la Armada cumplió con lo prometido al gobierno del estado, la donación de ese ex buque patrulla, para que fuera hundido, lo que ya se hizo también, frente a Caleta de Campos, para que sirva como atractivo turístico, para la práctica del buceo deportivo y para que el casco del barco se convierta dentro de poco, en un arrecife natural para la generación de bancos de especies marinas.

Por lo que se refiere al reporte del servicio meteorológico, la Capitanía de Puerto de este lugar, recomendó extremar precauciones para la navegación desde Salinas Cruz, Oaxaca, hasta Manzanillo, Colima, por el fuerte oleaje y lluvia que estaría provocando la depresión tropical E-2, que por la madrugada de ayer se convirtió en tormenta tropical y que según la previsiones, tocaría tierra a 10 kilómetros al este de Zihuatanejo y a 78 kilómetros de Lázaro Cárdenas, donde sólo por la madrugada se dejó sentir una ligera llovizna, para luego desaparecer el nublado y dar paso al fuerte sol de siempre.

This Saturday I drove 1:30 hrs north of Manzanillo when I heard a Guadajara LDS (oceanos) were in Playa de Chamela on an expedition. I thought I would join them on a night dive. Worth the drive - on the way I learned that the next morning they would be diving a sunken ship in 170 fsw a half hour up the coast. Another ship. Deeper, and closer. At the dive site Alberto, of oceanos, showed me what they had prepared for the next morning - trimix doubles with 50%Ean deco bottles - I had my doubles in the car, empty, and without yet having my cert - I was unable to join them.

I will have to get you a report from someone who did. I'd like to know condition, ect. when I do I'll pass this on. My plan is to gain my IANTD Trimix and plan a trip to see this vessel as well. I'll let you know.

Still no information on the survivor of the Sinaloa. A search of the retired Navy vessels could not find a reference to another ship sunk in the area. One sold for scrap, one sunk in the Gulf near Vera Cruz at 80m, our "Valle", and other decommissioned ships so far marked as unknown - I'll put some information I found on the net below, en espanol:

CONSEJO DEL ALMIRANTAZGO pg 40

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/benson/lagovdocs/mexico/federal/marina/4o.informe-labores.pdf 3.2.7.9 Bajas de Unidades Operativas Causaron baja del servicio Activo de la Armada de México, por no reunir los requisitos mínimos de seguridad para el personal y material, ni las condiciones de operatividad para el cumplimiento de las misiones. El 16 de octubre de 2003, seis buques clase “Valle” Ex - ARM “Valle” (PO 101), “Lerdo” (PO- 105), “Llave” (PO-107), “Altamirano” (PO-111), “Xicotencatl” (PO-115) y “Aldama” (PO-116). El primero de enero de 2004, tres buques de apoyo a los Mando Navales: ARM “Tamiahua” (PR- 291), “Cuyutlán” (PR-292) y “Pátzcuaro” (PR-321). El 16 de abril de 2004, dos buques clase “Pánuco”, ARM “Panuco” (A-401) y ARM “Guerrero” (A-403). El primero de noviembre de 2003, por haber naufragado en el canal de Chinchorro, Quintana, Roo, el buque de apoyo al Mando Naval: ARM “Cuitzeo” (PR-323).

Advisos a los Marinos Junio 2005

http://www.semar.gob.mx/publicaciones/catalogo/avisomarinosjun05.pdfIIAVISOS GENERALSCARTA PUB. AVISO COMENTATIOSSM-800 093/06/05 Con fecha 1 de Julio del 2005 se llevo a cabo el hundimiento del casco del buque patrulla oceanica Ex ARM "Llave" (PP 107), en situacion geografica 18* 36.5'N y 094* 25.1' W, (GULF OF MEXICO) a una profundidad do 80m.

Last edited:
Talked with ALBERTO at Oceanos today. His report on the Trimix Dive was that the boat captain never showed up - they didn't get to dive the ship. The worst report I think I have ever heard.

I'm not too sure what they are doing about it but next time I'm sure this will be resolved. I'll let you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom