Sunday @ Stillhouse Hollow Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok TexDiveguy where is our trip report? How was the diving? The Vis? The shop? Etc...

Debraw:
Ok TexDiveguy where is our trip report? How was the diving? The Vis? The shop? Etc...

I found the lake and park to really be great.....but I got know actual diving in. I visited with Edwin the owner of the dive shop and spend a good 45 minutes visiting and touring his shop and marina. Very nice guy and the lake is really sweet.....white rock entries with some hydrilla at 10-20'.....rocky/sand/silt bottom. Water was very clear from the shore. He has 3 seperate areas for diving he owns with all the goodies......courses are all roped and range from shore-20' to 110' wall dive. Boats/cycles/canoes/proppeler/turtle along the routes. A deep dive are is to about 110' with vis on good days to 45'. Alot of large wildlife in the lake. I WILL BE BACK FOR A SET OF DIVES!!!!! From here we set out for Inks Lake State Park a bit south some 70 miles.....this was another great dive spot with granite rocky shores and clean waters. I snorkled near Devils Bowls swimming jumping area---what a hoot!!! 84f waters with only 3' vis because of all the swimmers,,,but still fun......swimming alot of the shore the vis increased to 10' away from the swimmers. Both Stillhouse Hollow (Belton) and Inks Lake are worth a day trip for a bit of differnt diving. I will for sure be back at Stillhouse soon.

This sounds like a nice day of diving. I would love to do that wall dive to 110'. I have seen the website for the marina and dive area and wondered what it would be like. Thanks for the report!

Debraw:
This sounds like a nice day of diving. I would love to do that wall dive to 110'. I have seen the website for the marina and dive area and wondered what it would be like. Thanks for the report!

It's DO IT!!!

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd like to do that wall dive, as well. We might need to check this out sometime. Good report, Alan. :)

Debraw:

Don't get your hopes up too much for that 110' wall. Edwin is an OK guy but he may have put too much salemanship in that one. Not including the cut of the streambed, Stillhouse max depth is about 110 ft; less than 10 ft deeper than the larger Lk Belton. Formations in both lakes are similiar but Stillhouse tends to be a bit cleared due to the Hydrilla which has not taken hold yet in Belton.

For $20 I believe Edwin will taxi divers across the marina cove in his pontoon boat to the lakeshore on the north of the dam. I would expect to find a very steep rock rubble wall with many large bolders and perhaps some natural vertical sections leading down to the old valley floor at around 80 ft. I'm guessing a bit as I have not done this dive in Stillhouse yet as it can be a fairly heavy boat traffic area. I have done the similar dive in Belton and the south shore of Stillhouse (rather uninteresting with mostly smaller rock rubble). When conditions are right, it will be clear, dark, and probably cold.

Let me know when you want to do this and I can probably join you and provide some local support.

awap:
Don't get your hopes up too much for that 110' wall. Edwin is an OK guy but he may have put too much salemanship in that one. Not including the cut of the streambed, Stillhouse max depth is about 110 ft; less than 10 ft deeper than the larger Lk Belton. Formations in both lakes are similiar but Stillhouse tends to be a bit cleared due to the Hydrilla which has not taken hold yet in Belton.

For $20 I believe Edwin will taxi divers across the marina cove in his pontoon boat to the lakeshore on the north of the dam. I would expect to find a very steep rock rubble wall with many large bolders and perhaps some natural vertical sections leading down to the old valley floor at around 80 ft. I'm guessing a bit as I have not done this dive in Stillhouse yet as it can be a fairly heavy boat traffic area. I have done the similar dive in Belton and the south shore of Stillhouse (rather uninteresting with mostly smaller rock rubble). When conditions are right, it will be clear, dark, and probably cold.

Let me know when you want to do this and I can probably join you and provide some local support.

AWAP...thanks for the insight....Edwin did mention that the max depth of the lake was 120' in the river bed area. He said it is very easy to dive to depths on the wall to 90' and a slight grade down to around 110'. Nitrox is avlb. at a fair price in 32 or 36/membrane system fills. Pontoon or boat ride is reqd. for wall dive....he provides that at a set fee/ very reasnoble (unless you are a fellow dive shop pro/owner and he will set an industry pro fee). Marina area and shop very clean and well maintained.

texdiveguy:
AWAP...thanks for the insight....Edwin did mention that the max depth of the lake was 120' in the river bed area. He said it is very easy to dive to depths on the wall to 90' and a slight grade down to around 110'. Nitrox is avlb. at a fair price in 32 or 36/membrane system fills. Pontoon or boat ride is reqd. for wall dive....he provides that at a set fee/ very reasnoble (unless you are a fellow dive shop pro/owner and he will set an industry pro fee). Marina area and shop very clean and well maintained.

Yes, he has a nice little shop and he seems, somewhat surprisingly, to be making the location work. I'm still amazed by that high dollar compressor in central TX. His competition tends to be somewhat better on prices but doesn't offer the same level of services or the flare. I've graphed the old riverbed on Belton from my bass boat. tree covered 3 to 5 ft bank rise above the valley floor and then drop 10 to 15 ft to the old river bottom. I didn't see anything there that I have to get a closer look at. Most of the treasures (fishing gear, rods & reels, anchors, bottles, lawn chairs, etc) seem to be above 50 ft.

"Most of the treasures (fishing gear, rods & reels, anchors, bottles, lawn chairs, etc) seem to be above 50 ft"

Ok, now that really intrigues me! I am into scavenging! We MUST plan to do this dive as a group! July 10, 17 or 24 are all good Sundays for me.

Debraw:
"Most of the treasures (fishing gear, rods & reels, anchors, bottles, lawn chairs, etc) seem to be above 50 ft"

Ok, now that really intrigues me! I am into scavenging! We MUST plan to do this dive as a group! July 10, 17 or 24 are all good Sundays for me.

Scavenging is not real good in the normal dive areas. Best where there is a lot of fishing activity or a lot of boating activity. Buddy & I are going to hit the boat ramp and marina area there tonight (but I may have cleaned it a couple weeks ago). 24th is no good for me. We made another date with the bucking Spree (or it could be like glass).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom