Sunday Dive (1/30)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've managed to squeeze in 3 dives this month and still, I'm jonesin'. I'm heading to Deadman's tomorrow morning. As long as the surf isn't too brutal, who needs viz? It seems to be a thing of the past, so we just need to lower our standards. :eyebrow:

Well, many lookers but no takers for a Laguna dive today. As a backup plan I was thinking of catching up with the South Coast Divers this morning, but they didn't sound like they were too hot on diving this weekend due to the rain/runoff/bacteria.

Maybe we'll head down there later this morning or this afternoon and either try to hook up with someone, or just enjoy the beach. Supposed to be a beautiful day, and Laguna Sea Sports reported 10-12 ft. viz yesterday with only 1-3 ft surf. Not bad at all compared to the rest of the coast.

Well at least I got my taxes done yesterday.

Just got back from Crescent. We made it to Deadman's but the viz was low (3-8'), and the swell was big. I got out of the water right around 9:15am, and some of the waves were really big - 5-6'. Even the surfers were out. Laguna Sea Sports is reporting 1-2' of surf at Shaw's at 9:30am, which seems a little strange considering Crescent is right next door and it certainly isn't running 1-2'. The swell model has turned orange farther out to sea, which seems more reflective of what I experienced this morning. Good to be wet, but the conditions continue to SUCK!
Dive safe y'all.
Kevin

scubacalifornia:
Just got back from Crescent. We made it to Deadman's but the viz was low (3-8'), and the swell was big. I got out of the water right around 9:15am, and some of the waves were really big - 5-6'. Even the surfers were out. Laguna Sea Sports is reporting 1-2' of surf at Shaw's at 9:30am, which seems a little strange considering Crescent is right next door and it certainly isn't running 1-2'. The swell model has turned orange farther out to sea, which seems more reflective of what I experienced this morning. Good to be wet, but the conditions continue to SUCK!
Dive safe y'all.
Kevin

LSS seems to have been "fluffing" their reports a little lately. They told me 10-15 ft of vis at Shaw's on Friday, but when I talk to the actual diver who dove, he said ten was a bit on the generous side, on top of the reef at the end, away from the sand. But, lots of surge, too.

Shaw's is a LOT protected, way more than Crescent. So a lot of the time, waves may be 5-8' at crescent and depending on the swell direction, only 1-2' at Shaw's. Also, the south beaches may be lower than the northern or vice versa, depending on swell. So it really does pay to look at all the beaches, if you have the time and energy to spend (and we're talking diving, people, so we ALL have the time, right?) Of course, at most of the souternbeaches, you need to be mindful of the tides, and rockier bottoms.

I am looking forward to boat diving next Sunday to get my fix. I haven't been in the water since Jan1st! yikes!!! :scubadiver:

Yeah, we did Shaw's this afternoon, and what Laurel said is exactly right. We saw 5-6ft. surf at Crescent, and at the same time only 1-3 ft. at Shaw's. Viz at Shaw's was 10ft. Nice dive.

Great diving today with Jim,Christian, JDog, Snakedr and Drjet. It's been two months since my last dive and it sure felt good to get wet again! Even though the viz was so-so, the entry was easy and company great. Thanks to Myrna, Jim's sweetie baby honey bunny for being the keeper of the keys and great company at Gina's Pizza.

Yeah, Sunday was my first dive of the year with Jim, Jetfixer, snakedr, JDog, and Dr. Jet. After not diving in La Jolla, I just had to take a look at Laguna since it was on the way home (sort of).

Since most people either over or under estimate the vis by a great deal, Jim and I tested the vis with the depth finder. We swam away from the reef until it looked like it was just about to disapear from view and then pointed the depth finder at the reef and pushed the button. It was 10 feet. With the bad vis lately and the fact that I have been dry too long, I thought this was outstanding!

Thanks everyone for the dive and the great company afterwards at Gina's pizza. This was a topper on an already great weekend in La Jolla (aside from the 12-foot monster waves lined up in rows of 5 at the shores).

Christian

I dove Crescent on Sunday and unless the surf picked up from 8:00 to 9:00, you guys were smoking cheeba!
The surf was an easy 2-3' coming in sets of 4 at 8 second intervals with a three minute lull between sets.
You should not smoke cheeba before you dive, it adds to your narcosis!!! :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom