Sunday 8-15-21 Newport diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey kids Sunday looks like a dive Newport day. Sunny, N winds, seas under 2 feet it'll pretty calm on Sat also so things should settle down nicely! And for a little insentive, I dropped some tanks off at Giant Stride Dive Shop to day and Red told me last week he dove the Arches at Gooseberry Island. He said there 20' vis and he saw a green sea turtle! The island is about 11/2 miles from King Beach and 1/2 mile from Green Bridge so it i s possible the turtle may be at either location! Or not, But you can't win it you don't play!

Anyone up for some diving Sunday? High tide 2pm

Anyone up for some diving Sunday? High tide 2pm
Just got back from a week in Maine. Tied up until the last weekend of the month. Will get a search and rescue mission in tomorrow at a lake looking for someone's lost prescription glasses. Not likely to see a turtle though, well not a green turtle anyways. Snappers and painted maybe.

I would love to dive the gooseberry arches. You think we could get a charter together?

I have a Monday morning dive and won't be able to get my tanks refilled...... I want a compressor!!!!!

Personal use compressors are not that big, plus car space as well

Mine weights about 100 lbs no less mostly that beastly 5HP electric motor, but the other things add weight too, like the big a$$ filter tower.

More tanks would be a lot cheaper.

I've filled 4 tanks so far and did one VIP that's 68 dollars saved only $2932.00 more and it'll be paid for!

Mrs.AD can't figure why the electric bill is higher. I told her it was Biden's fault. :) :jester:

Just got back from a week in Maine. Tied up until the last weekend of the month. Will get a search and rescue mission in tomorrow at a lake looking for someone's lost prescription glasses. Not likely to see a turtle though, well not a green turtle anyways. Snappers and painted maybe.

I would love to dive the gooseberry arches. You think we could get a charter together?

Giant Strides is the only one doing charters to the arches that I know. Last I checked all the charters were filled. I'll check to see if any have been added. No charters to the arches. I did find this:
Reds Dive Log: (yes I still log them all)
#2296 Amazing Gooseberry Arches Dive, Newport, RI 8/7/21
I went diving with my friend Anna today hoping the seas were calm enough to get to Gooseberry Island. Seas were calm for our ride out there and predicted to get even calmer as the day progressed. Finding the surge a bit much to begin at the Big Arch we started off on the west side where the chimney is and the viz was great enabling me to shoot a few 18” Blackfish. We spent about 1/2 hour there before turning around as I felt the surge calming down. Sure enough it was pretty mellow but the viz was a bit muddy on the bottom with more clarity in the shallower depths. It was such a beautiful dive seeing schoolie Stripers, lots of Tautog, Porgies, Black Sea Bass, one being the biggest I have ever seen at 23” that I set free from a rogue lobster pot, (he was lucky BSB weren’t in season), and a Small Green Sea Turtle approximately 1 foot in diameter……That’s a first for me up here and I just about crapped my wetsuit! The day was already great but the Turtle made it spectacular. I’m glad someone was there to witness it with me. As we turned the dive at 74 minutes we encountered a few more divers at 30’ exchanging OK’s we finned our way to the boat finding out later with some boat to boat greetings that it was my old friend Ian from the Old Colony Amphibians dive club and his grandchildren. We celebrated an epic dive with Gin & Tonics as I filleted my fish, relaxed for an hour or two and enjoyed the day in front of Gooseberry Island before weighing anchor and steaming back to port. Max depth of 39 ft for 85 minutes in 68 degree water with 3-15’ viz….

Here's what's left
heroine-gentile-166x166.jpg

AUG
Heroine Wreck 8/28/21 @6AM

Idene and Block Island Pinnacles Dive Charter!!!! 8/15/21 @6:00AM
The Block Island Pinnacles beautiful too bad it's today!

Here's some pictures from my last dive at the Arches. A solo from my kayak. If nobody is interested I may take the yak tomorrow and do another solo dive.
PICT0047.JPG
PICT0043.JPG
PICT0045.JPG

Back
Top Bottom