Sund Rock death on Sunday 7/24/2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Money is always a driving factor, even in Durham, NC.
oh yes, some people have to die to maximize profits. As long as litigation doesn't impact agencies, nothing will change. Why would it?

This was posted on FB by one of the people who administered CPR:

The diver at Sund Rock:
1. The Shop was Salem Scuba from Salem Oregon.
2. The diver was a woman from Oregon, in her 50’s or 60’s.
3. The group had just completed the Open Water Course the day before.
4. They were on the first dive of the Advanced Course, doing a Deep Dive. There was an Instructor and I believe four Students.
5. The diver panicked, and made for the surface. At some point prior to reaching the surface she removed her mask and her regulator.
6. She was unresponsive at the surface. The Instructor yelled for us to call 911. Three of us did so.
7. A group of us took turns with CPR, administering chest compressions and rescue breaths, until EMS arrived about ten minutes after 911 was called.
8. EMS worked on her for over two hours. They tried everything there was to try. They worked their asses off trying to revive her. They were unsuccessful.
Many of you might now think about discussing the rights and wrongs of all that happened. There’s a LOT to go over with this accident. I only ask that you be respectful in your comments. Thanks.
Fins up, dive safe.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread was split off from the Mukilteo thread here: Unconcious woman transported - Mukilteo, Washington

There were a few posts that could have referred to either incident or quoted posts regarding both incidents, so if you see a phantom quote, that's probably why.

This was posted on Facebook by an instructor who was there (not her instructor):

The diver at Sund Rock:
1. The Shop was Salem Scuba from Salem Oregon.
2. The diver was a woman from Oregon, in her 50’s or 60’s.
4. They were on the first dive of the Advanced Course, doing a Deep Dive. There was an Instructor and I believe four Students.
5. The diver panicked, and made for the surface. At some point prior to reaching the surface she removed her mask and her regulator.
6. She was unresponsive at the surface. The Instructor yelled for us to call 911. Three of us did so.
7. A group of us took turns with CPR, administering chest compressions and rescue breaths, until EMS arrived about ten minutes after 911 was called.
8. EMS worked on her for over two hours. They tried everything there was to try. They worked their asses off trying to revive her. They were unsuccessful.

(When I posted this I didnt see anyone else had, but now theres two of us)

Hearsay on the Facebook page is that the diver also dropped her weights.

First time I went to 100' was at Sund Rock, and it was intimidating. Awful thing it went so bad for her, and couldn't be fixed.

Here's your problem.

This is instructive. A panicked diver discarding the regulator usually has a sense that the regulator is not working. With a beginning student, that may be because of shallow breathing leading to hypercapnia, but there can be other reasons.

The description of this incident almost perfectly describes the death of my nephew's mother-in-law. She, too, made a panicked ascent on her AOW deep dive, and she, too, discarded her regulator along the way. She was also within the stated age range of the diver.

The autopsy showed that she had suffered a heart attack during the dive, and she had suffered a heart attack a day or two before the dive as well. The heart attack impacted her circulation, which created a hypercapnic panic response. Feeling she was not getting air from the regulator, she discarded it as she ascended.

Back
Top Bottom