Sund Rock death on Sunday 7/24/2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes there was, I was there; the fatality at Sund Rock took place yesterday, Sunday, 7/25/22, between 10am and 11am.
There's probably nothing you can share and hopefully people do not speculate.

There's probably nothing you can share
There likely, possibly is, but regardless I haven't taken the time to write/draft down the timeline/what I know/what I saw yet, even if only for my own journal. Hasn't hit the news yet, if it does at all. Though, I'm not going to be the person who makes the original post.

and hopefully people do not speculate.
100%

Yes there was, I was there; the fatality at Sund Rock took place yesterday, Sunday, 7/25/22, between 10am and 11am.
Too many folks dying and getting hurt around here diving.
Sund Rock is a nice dive with a fantastic family running the site... hopefully lawyers don't ruin it for them.

Then why bother saying anything?
I'm thinking he was just simply saying that he was there and was confirming the date and approx time that it happened.

My positive thoughts and condolences to the families and friends of the person who lost their life.

And now, at Sund Rock, people are keeping it hush hush about this weekend? Bloody hell!

If by "people" you/we are referring to either:

a) Divers/People who were there:
A majority of yesterday's reservations appeared to be folks involved in two (unrelated) classes, one OW and the other AOW, the latter being a class that the victim was a part of. The students in the classes probably haven't come to terms with the reality of what they witnessed.

and/or

b) News outlets:
I'm guessing that it is a very manual process for a reporter to get info on this tragedy due to its location. Sund Rock is in Hoodsport, a town in unincorporated Mason County. For example, as far as I can gather, Mason County Fire/EMS/LE has no online dispatch logs of any kind. In short, a reporter will have to make calls to gov't folks, file records requests, etc., to get anything official.

Oh, well, I too hope the lawyers leave the owners alone. The owners were really nice when I was there this winter. Darn lawyers!

I'm reasonably sure that the "owners" are in the clear since their ownership is limited to the specific dive site access point, not the actual dive site where the accident occurred. There are multiple ways to access Sund Rock, and one of them just so happens to be the most convenient.

You’re saying there were four fatalities that didn’t get reported on publicly?
Correct
How is anyone coming to the area supposed to learn if there are things to watch out for?
This is the dive industry. There are reasons for my high level of cynicism.
And now, at Sund Rock, people are keeping it hush hush about this weekend? Bloody hell!

Oh, well, I too hope the lawyers leave the owners alone. The owners were really nice when I was there this winter. Darn lawyers!
With all the fatalities that happen in other places I think the probability of litigation towards the owners is low. The cities of Tacoma, Seattle have much deeper pockets

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom