Suncountry's $75 fee for dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brischl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Who can tell me what's up with Suncountry charging $75 for bringing dive gear when it should just be counted as a normal checked bag?

Yep, Here it is:

Sun Country Baggage Policies

Scuba-Diving Equipment
One (1) item of scuba diving equipment consists of: One (1) regulator, one (1) pressure gauge, one (1) mask, two (2) fins, one (1) snorkel, one (1) knife, one (1) spear gun and one (1) BC-vest (cannot contain air cartridges). The charge is $75 on all flights. These items must be placed in a container that prevents damage to the equipment. Like all passenger airlines, we are prohibited from transporting scuba diving tanks, even if they are empty.

:facepalm: ....cheez whiz and crackers !!

This 2008 post on scubaboard may be of help to you: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...13-problems-w-sun-country-baggage-policy.html

Why were you carrying a spear gun? (That is an "and".)

This topic comes up once in awhile with airline baggage policies. I do believe, although not specifically mentioned in the written policy, that the problem could lie perhaps in the size of the baggage which would incur oversize fees and/or the replacement costs if scuba equipment is lost by the airline. Also, I believe that the fees are in place for those divers who travel with their own tanks as this may require a special inspection. But since traveling with tanks is not common this should not be the issue. What I have read, and what I would do :lookaround:, (I know, I know... my bad) is just pack the gear and beg for forgiveness later if need be. Although, be prepared if your gear is lost that the airline could and very well will deny any compensation if a claim is made. However, do consider packing your reg,computer and other fragile equipment in carry on. This is common practice not only in order to protect this sensitive equipment but also to insure you have this very personal equipment for your dive trip and to avoid theft during the checked baggage process. Good luck !

I pack my stuff and just don't tell them it's dive gear. I had always been told don't label it dive gear and put a bunch of stickers and stuff on it because it makes it more of a target when they know it's dive gear. I carry on my computer.

This topic comes up once in awhile with airline baggage policies. I do believe, although not specifically mentioned in the written policy, that the problem could lie perhaps in the size of the baggage which would incur oversize fees and/or the replacement costs if scuba equipment is lost by the airline. Also, I believe that the fees are in place for those divers who travel with their own tanks as this may require a special inspection. But since traveling with tanks is not common this should not be the issue. What I have read, and what I would do :lookaround:, (I know, I know... my bad) is just pack the gear and beg for forgiveness later if need be. Although, be prepared if your gear is lost that the airline could and very well will deny any compensation if a claim is made. However, do consider packing your reg,computer and other fragile equipment in carry on. This is common practice not only in order to protect this sensitive equipment but also to insure you have this very personal equipment for your dive trip and to avoid theft during the checked baggage process. Good luck !
To the bold parts...

Their statement includes "Like all passenger airlines, we are prohibited from transporting scuba diving tanks, even if they are empty" which is just wrong - unless Canada has some rules we don't that say that. I flew my pony into and out of Canada on Delta long ago, I know.

The airlines I've flown lately won't reimburse for scuba gear anyway, even if it's all their fault.

Check TSA and/or Canadian equivalent agency sites, both in case of itineraries involving both countries, and abide by them. The airlines do not have any authority to inspect the contents of your bags to my knowledge, so don't tell them.

Pack your gear in a normal suitcase and they will be none the wiser. :) Plus I think it makes your gear a wee bit safer as well.

Are they not going to allienate the diving community by charging this increased fee?
I don't see why they would be remotely concerned if divers were alienated. Airlines everywhere have alienated pet owners for jacking up pet transport costs and initiating new rules and we folks travelling with pets aren't all that large of a proportion of their customer demographic. And also the general air traveller for instituting new suitcase restrictions. Adding a few more divers to that disgruntled list? Meh. :D

Baggage policy and baggage reality are two very different things. In my experience you can generally check whatever you want so long as it's not over weight/size and doesn't contain anything TSA will pull as hazardous.

For example, United claims that "An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the free baggage allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way) for flights within the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands." I have a free baggage allowance and during my slow process of moving out to HI via USPS flat rate and a series of EWR-HNL flights, I shuttled a total of 4 steel 130s, 2 AL80s, 2 Al20s, and a steel 100 out here in checked bags.

No extra charges involved, though TSA proved time and again they were serious (if really stupid) about the whole 'no sealed containers' thing by ripping off the clear plastic baggies I'd loosely (i.e., not sealed) taped over the tank necks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom