Sun Protection Tips & Tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

above water i wear uv resistant clothing, i buy HUK products from either bass pro or West marine. the long sleeve pull over hoodies and a neck gaiter with a big hat work great. the clothing is designed for all day salt water fishing in tropical water. also great for hiking. in the water, i use a 1 mil full suit with a one mil hood. a thin pair of reef gloves for your hands. if it is a no glove dive area, cut the fingers off the gloves.

Weirdly - in the Red Sea it is not sunburn that causes problems but instead dehydration - I've been getting quite good at estimating how many bags of saline it is going to take to cheer them up...

For face/hands/non-greasy sunscreen while wearing a wetsuit: Biore Watery Essence sunscreen (SPF 50) - reapply after each dive
For exposed skin before/after dives: Hawaiian Sport Everyday Active SPF 50 water resistant - get the spray bottle

Big fan of rashguards and Columbia tops for blocking the sun when not wearing a wetsuit - also, be mindful of where the sun is on the boat/beach/etc. It's usually possible to position yourself strategically to stay in the shade. Spacefish Army and Waterlust both have great dive-friendly tops and bottoms

just ordered two, will find out.
As much as I am keen to find out how effective it may be, I wouldn't wish jellyfish stings on anyone.

Anyhoo... if it happens, please let us know :)

As much as I am keen to find out how effective it may be, I wouldn't wish jellyfish stings on anyone.

Anyhoo... if it happens, please let us know :)
I’ve had plenty of stings, usually on my face in cold water when the nettles are swarming, no a lot of exposed area fortunately.

I’m more concerned with this for warm water and it’s sunscreen properties without looking like a kabuki dancer and reef safe.

Underwater I just wear a wetsuit or rash guard. On the surface I’m usually rocking a rash guard. For sun block, you’re in the water all day, some sport sunblock or ski-balm is where it’s at

Has anyone had experience with its anti-jellyfish feature? I use it as any other coral safe sun lotions so far

Bought some of the stuff, as sunscreen it’s great, rub it on in the morning and so far no burning all day.

while I didn’t see any jelly fish there were a lot of little salp like things in the water today, it doesn’t work against them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom