Summer spring tour and conditions report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1amphibian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just got home after 6 days out camping and diving around central and North Florida.

Started off at Alexander springs in the Ocala National Forest. Spring conditions were excellent as there were never more than 4 divers in at one time. Flow is very high but vis is great (100ft plus). The resident gator was out on Tuesday, but we never saw him as the swimmers went looking for him and chased him up into the woods. This dive is fun, but not much to see other than the very small cavern and rock formations. Did see a large blue crab in there though.

Ginnie spings and the Ballroom were on order for 2 dives both Wednesday and Thursday. Conditions are better than I have seen there in my last 3 trips. Water is perfect and particulate matter in the cavern almost non existant. Flow is strong at the grate, but fine everywhere else. On the weekdays, there are hardly any divers in there, so you usually have the place to yourself. Could not ask for finer diving if your so inclined and have good lights. Was supposed to meet EANDIVER there on Thursday but he was smitten by the diving gods that day and due to circumstances beyond his control, was not able to meet up with us. (good luck on your Cavern and intro to Cave course next week Mark, wish I was going thru it with you)

Stopped by Troy springs for one dive on Friday and were again the only divers in the spring. Conditions were great and flow was managable. Vis was 70+ feet and from the bottom of the wall at 60 ft. looking up you could clearly make out the trees on top of the hill overlooking the spring. The river level is still WAY down making the trip into and out of the water a bit of an interesting prospect. That area needs a lot more rain.

Manatee was on tap for today and having never dived there before, was looking forward to it. Weather kept us out of the water for a while but when it cleared we were in quickly. Vis was over 100ft and the flow from that cave system is very strong. Not much to see here but still a very pleasant dive.

Chris

Thanks for the reports, I've yet to dive Manatee myself, but that will be remedied on my next excursion into central FL. I've dived the rest in your report and had fun at all of em as well :D

1amphibian:
This dive is fun, but not much to see other than the very small cavern and rock formations. Did see a large blue crab in there though.

Was he hanging up there inside the largest cavern? I saw a huge one in there last week. He was there all day and never moved. I thought there wouldn't be enough oxygen in the water there for him, but Alexander seems to support a lot more fish life at the boil than a lot of springs do.

He was in a small overhang to the left of the main vent. My g/f though he was dead at first, but he kept looking at me and was moving around when I was looking at him.

Sounds like you had a great trip Chris!

Smitten is not exactly the word I would have used....more like pummeled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom