Suites Bahia or Vista del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbjclj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We will be in Cozumel Nov 2-24. The first week we want to stay in town to be able to visit all the restaurants we haven't tried. I've narrowed it to Suites Bahia and Vista del Mar, since we want an oceanfront room ( realize noise could be an issue).

xxxx
Suites Bahia-kitchenette, Casa Mexicana breakfast $466
Vista del Mar - Continental Breakfast, refrig. $292.

Are the kitchenette and breakfast worth the extra $. at Suites Bahia. We are diving with Jeremy Nov 4-12 and he leaves EARLY, so what time does Casa Mexicana open for breakfast.

What is the Continental breakfast at Vista del Mar? How big is the refrigerator?

We will be at Fiesta Americana the from Nov 8-24 diving with Christy Nov 15-22

Thanks

Cheryl and Jay

I stay at Bahia and really like it there.The breakfast is great and starts at 7am.Would never pay that much ahead for an oceanfront room.usually $20 dollars at the front desk will get an upgrade.

my vote is for suites bahia.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Are the kitchenette and breakfast worth the extra $. at Suites Bahia. We are diving with Jeremy Nov 4-12 and he leaves EARLY, so what time does Casa Mexicana open for breakfast.

That price is for a week, correct? You probably know this but, Bahia, Casa Mexicana and
Aldora's boat dock are just a few minutes away on foot. I have enough time to have a very good breakfast at Casa Mexicana (although I don't wait in line for made to order eggs) then return to Bahia to brush teeth & pick up gear then meet Jeremy at the dock. I don't eat out that much in Cozumel and make several meals in the room so the kitchenette at Bahia is a good value for me. I haven't stayed at Vista del Mar but that price is hard to pass up. Have a great trip wherever you decide to stay.

If the Bahia is for a balcony room, you can compare apples to apples. If that price is for a standard room, go with Vista del Mar or upgrade at Bahia. I have stayed at Bahia many times and liked it. Never stayed at the other.

Don't worry about distances to Aldora's pier -- they are very short. Vista del Mar is located between Casa Mexicana and Suites Bahia.

I've only stayed at Bahia between the 2, so can only comment on that, except to say that the price difference is rather dramatic, making Vista del Mar an attractive choice. Bahia is very clean and comfortable, the kitchenette is a full size fridge, kitchen sink, cupboards with a selections of plates, glasses and utensils, and a microwave. They don't have drinking water available, besides over-priced bottles at the desk, but the fridge has room for jugs from the Oxxo a couple blocks away. The breakfast at Casa Mex. is a couple blocks south on Melgar, very good, and I am usually back at Bahia around 7:30. The Aldora pier is right across the street, so super convenient. Biggest noise issue for the ocean view rooms is the taxistas out front, calling "Taxi!" at most passers-by. Gets a little old some afternoons if you are lounging on the balcony... I love staying there, and hopefully will be again in a few months :) Have a great trip!

What is the Continental breakfast at Vista del Mar? How big is the refrigerator?

From two years ago, their breakfast was usually a simple pastry, coffee and orange juice set out side the door in the morning. The fridges are the typical tiny small units like you would put under counter or bar. The vista del mar has nice king beds (just kinda hard), nice rooms and I thought the bathrooms were nice. The doors are a bit thin so noise in the hallway can be heard in the room but this isnt that common unless large groups are stayng there. Their pool is very cold so doesn't get much use. The ocean front units are nice, some might be looking thru a few phone or power lines. These units are righg above the street but unless thee is construction the street noise was never an isue for me. Some of the rear units have a second twin bed which is great for laying out gear. These large suites in the back have nice sized decks bit are right by the ac units so it can be a bit noisy. I believe all of their rooms have safes which is nice.

Since ther are two of you, if a good breakfast is important to you you might find yourself eating breakfast somewhere else when staying at the Vista Del Mar which might cost you a decent part of the $160 you initially save going with the Vista.

Now if you are mainly trying to keep costs as low as possible and want put what you save towards lunches and dinners out in town then I think you'll be quite pleased with the Vista rooms, location, etc.

+1 for diving with Aldora!

I stayed at Vista Del Mar in Dec 2009 and loved the ocean view rooms. Mainly for the decoration (nice wood furniture, stone mosaic details in the bathroom, hammock chair on the balcony… quaint and romantic), the awesome view and how helpful the staff was. The room was super well-kept and clean.

The shower wouldn't be the best if you had to rinse 2 sets of gear daily, but since you're diving with Aldora, no issue there as they'll take care of it except for wetsuits.

Pool in the back was tiny and not very private (souvenir market on floor below that gets busy during the day) but I did take advantage of it a couple of times. Yes, the water in the pool is cold, but I think that's the case most anywhere on the island.

Free bottled water daily.
Although I was on a budget, the small fridge was enough for me and I never felt like I needed a kitchen since there are so many great and inexpensive places to eat within walking distance.

Breakfast as of then was as written in the previous post (pastry, pot of coffee and orange juice). My main issue with it was that they only started serving it after 7 am and the Aldora boat leaves at 7.30. The pier is only a block away, so enough time to eat for most folks, but since I hate being rushed in the morning, I'd usually have juice, milk, cereal and pastries bought the night before on the balcony and grab coffee at the Coffee Bean or the Oxxo store.

I booked through Expedia and the room included a 10% discount at Mr Sancho's Beach Club. Good deal for me, as that is where Aldora does its surface interval.

Bedding was great (king size bed and nice sheets), firm but comfy enough for my taste. Traffic noise was what bothered me the most, I don't use AC at night and like sleeping with the window open, but I had to keep it closed several times. Good thing Melgar gets less busy after 11 pm.

I paid USD50 a night back then (low season price) and thought it was a great deal. When I returned a month later or so, I wanted to stay there again but it was high season, and I wasn't ready to spend USD80 a night on a hotel room so I stayed elsewhere.

Never stayed at Suites Bahia so can't compare the two.
Since lots of people on this thread have stayed there : have you ever booked a room there facing North/East ? I rented an appartment a few months ago just a block away (on Rosado Salas, next door to the Mission restaurant) and the street noise (karaoke bars, loud music&#8230:wink: was just awful, often until 2 am.
I often wondered what the noise would be like at those specific rooms in Suites Bahia. Does the wind direction keep the racket away from them or is it hell ?

I have stayed at both hotels several times each and would not hesitate to go to either again. Suites Bahia has very large rooms, two large beds, and small desktop. The kitchenette has a full size refrigerator, microwave, sink, cabinets with plates, glasses, cups, and utensils. The bathroom is fairly small. Vista Del Mar has a nice room, one large bed, and a dorm size refrigerator. It does however have a much larger bathroom with very large shower. The two hotels are only a block or two away from each other, so both are within easy walking distance of the Aldora pier. Both are clean. Suites Bahia has in-room safes and wi-fi. I do not recall an in-room safe at Vista Del Mar and never inquired about wi-fi there. In my opinion, both are a very good value considering price, cleanliness, and location.

Enjoy your stay,
Turk 9

I do not recall an in-room safe at Vista Del Mar and never inquired about wi-fi there.

There as a safe in the cupboard in my room. Don't know about wifi.

Back
Top Bottom