Suit thickness for 19-23 C water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to dive in the Med and then in the Mid East and SE Asia. I got a 3mm suit for use...however, is this too cool for Spring in the Med? Specifically Malta/Sicily in Early May? I heard that 19-22/3 is the water temp then.

Should I get a 5mm suit too?

Don't like the idea of renting suits.....

I've been wearing a 5/4 Pinnacle with Merino wool lining in southern Okinawa, Japan and the water temp here has been about the same since November. It's perfect for that temperature range. I also wear a 1.5 mil hood, which I think is absolutely necessary--makes a huge difference for the second or third dive. My friends own 3 mil suits and they always end a dive feeling cold. Again, though, the hood helps a lot, especially if it's a hooded vest--Deep See makes a really sweet one that you can get off Leisure pro's website for pennies. Enjoy your diving.

Cummje:
I've been wearing a 5/4 Pinnacle with Merino wool lining in southern Okinawa, Japan and the water temp here has been about the same since November. It's perfect for that temperature range. I also wear a 1.5 mil hood, which I think is absolutely necessary--makes a huge difference for the second or third dive. My friends own 3 mil suits and they always end a dive feeling cold. Again, though, the hood helps a lot, especially if it's a hooded vest--Deep See makes a really sweet one that you can get off Leisure pro's website for pennies. Enjoy your diving.

Thanks Cummje for your reply. I got the 3mm Pinnicle with Merino Lining. Slightly cheaper model I think. would that do if I had a hooded vest? Like this one
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BREHV1M.html

I may just get another suit. How much did you pay for yours?

Welcome since the is USA I figure you are talking about somewhere arount 68 deg. F. As said it all depends on the person but a 5mm would be the least i would use. Also are you only going to be at the dive location at the temp or eill it be colder or warmer?

These are considerations if warmer 3mm and a vest if colder 5mm and a vest.

Eskasi:
I am going to dive in the Med and then in the Mid East and SE Asia. I got a 3mm suit for use...however, is this too cool for Spring in the Med? Specifically Malta/Sicily in Early May? I heard that 19-22/3 is the water temp then.

Should I get a 5mm suit too?

Don't like the idea of renting suits.....

I would be way too cold in a 3mm at 19-23C. I get cold in a 5mm at 25C after about 30 minutes. I am probably more sensitive to cold than others. Get the 5mm and also a hood.

Cummje:

I second this, 5mm full suit, 5 or 7mm gloves, and thick booties. IMO the Pinnacle Merino lined suits are probably the best suits you can buy. I would say a hood is optional, but for repet dives might end up being a good idea.

Yeah, that hood/vest is almost identical to the one I have (deepsee). For I've been diving several times the last couple of weeks and my friends without hoods always ended up shivering withouth a hood. Vital in my opinion. It also seems to help seal off the neck seal better meaning that less water seeps into my suit...or at least with the hood/vest I don't feel that trickle of water down my back. I wear 3 mil booties and thin Pinnacle gloves, too.

If you are doing more than 1 dive a day I would suggest a 6.5mm Semidry suit. The diving in Melbourne Australia is around that temp in Summer and I use a Scubapro Scotia 6.5mm which is great.

If the water is wet, I'm diving dry!

Just did 30 dry dives in 82F water in the Cayman Islands.

Everyone on the liveaboard was laughing, until after the first night dive.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom