Suicide Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving and have read about suicide clips on a few forums. I don't like the sound of these!

Could anyone explain what these are and why they are named such.

Thanks

It is a nickname given for any type of clip that can open/attach to line or objects without the diver's specific intention.
For example, gate-type carabiner and certain spring-shackles.

attachment.php

If the attachment is able to latch things (especially lines) without the diver's intention, then it poses a more severe risk of entanglement hazard. This is particularly a risk when diving inside wrecks or caves - where the diver is in cramped/confined areas, often in bad visibility, and laying a guideline.

suicide_clips.jpg

Suicide-type clips have been mentioned in accident reports as contributing factors to entanglement diving fatalities in caves/wrecks. For that reason, many experienced divers make a rule to avoid 'suicide' clips and use bolt-snap type attachments as a rule.

Suicide Clip
210133_oz.jpg

Non-Suicide Clip
2.jpg

The other problem is that they can also undo by themselves. If they double-up over the line they are connected to they can unclip themselves. This is more dangerous in my view.

Mr Monkey,
Don't use it for diving but it can come in handy in a garage for example.

Got a question for you anti's. If they are so dangerous WHY does almost all the gear sold have that type clip? Safety sausages, hose clips, and lots of other comercially sold gear has this type clip. If it is so dangerous wouldn't this be a liability issue? Or is this just something wreck/cave divers worry about and have extrapolated out to every situation? Maybe this thread should be moved to the Scuba Snopes thread. LOL

Reasons I can think of that safety sausages etc may come with plastic suicide clips are a) plastic is cheaper than metal b) metal bolt snaps are more expensive to manufacture as said and have a moving part, c) safety sausages are lightweight and manufacturers think they don't need a stronger metal gate clip, and d) manufacturers of non-technical dive gear may not be all that aware. It needs a clip? Oh, let's use these cheap ones.

Sure, when I started diving and got my first safety sausage, I used the plastic suicide clip that came with the sausage.

I can remember getting the plastic gate part pulled outside the hook so that it was useless as a secure method of fastening at one point, and that was irritating to not trust the attachment point.

Later when I had reviewed why they were not the best choice, I removed them from existing gear and then bought only bolt snaps or gear with bolt snaps. YMMV.

My safety sausage came with a brass bolt snap, I replaced it with a stainless steel bolt snap after the original turned green.

Got a question for you anti's. If they are so dangerous WHY does almost all the gear sold have that type clip? Safety sausages, hose clips, and lots of other comercially sold gear has this type clip. If it is so dangerous wouldn't this be a liability issue? Or is this just something wreck/cave divers worry about and have extrapolated out to every situation? Maybe this thread should be moved to the Scuba Snopes thread. LOL

????

Almost all gear??? I dont know where you are shopping - but VERY FEW scuba gear comes with a suicide clip. At this point, every book, training agency, instructor, etc is adament about how dangerous they are. Its not one of the scuba policie paranoias - this is real. I had one sausage that came with a plastic suicide clip. First - I could easily brake it off in an entanglement - so probably ont a major issue. Second - I replaced it immediately.

Dont use them.

I know of real life horror stories.

Just replace them with a blt snap.

Sorry guys in most cases I don't agree, in caves or wreck penetrations OK but open water dives... :fear:

Back
Top Bottom