Sugru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

extremetito

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using Sugru moldable rubber/glue for various repairs and mods:
-Strain relief for hoses (not covering the metal).
-Modifying or making knobs for pull dumps-these can be made as large, or as small, low-profile and flexible as you wish.
-Sealing off "suicide clip" gates.

So far, so good.
I cannot speak about durability or robustness-does anyone have long term experience with Sugru in salt water and at depth?

I hadn't heard of it before (at first I thought you were making a joke about "ShoeGoo".) This stuff is an air-cured silicone rubber that looks interesting. FWIW, their website claims it's stable in sea water, which fits with what I know about silicones in general. How soft is the cured rubber? I'm trying to imagine making a knob for a pull-dump; Did you mold the rubber around a steel washer or something so the cord wouldn't pull out too easily?

For my pull dump, I added a thin layer of Sugru over my small Dive Rite knob to give it more texture.
For those concerned with snagging of the pull dump-I was thinking of forming the Sugru directly over the pull and the end-knot--this will thicken and stiffen the pull and the end can be shaped into a teardop configuration to resist snagging.
If you would just like to make a custom pull, it is not hard to shape it around the tip of a pen or free form any shape, and then just punch a small hole at the top.

Last edited:
I glanced at the reviews on Amazon... the stuff has a fairly limited shelf-life before stuff in the little foil packets hardens. Maybe about a year? Don't buy too much of this (expensive) stuff "just to have around".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom