Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mf1012

New
Reaction score
First off, Howdy folks! I'm new to the board and y'all have the pleasure of reading my first post!

The wife and I are headed to Maui in March (2012). I have been there before and dove the back wall at Molokini and the Cathedrals. She is new to diving, as in she is currently getting certified. I am going to take her on a few lake dives around the Houston area to get her used to it all before we head out there. Are there any suggestions where yall think we should dive? We will be staying at the Westin Ka'anapali but are more than willing to travel the island some to get some good diving in. I want her first official diving trip to blow her away. Any suggestions of shops to use? I previously dove with Hawaiian Rafting Adventures and the Maui Dive Shop. Thanks in advance folks.

I just got back a couple of weeks ago and dove with Lahaina Divers (but we did some dives in Lanai) as well as B&B (out of Kihei). I would recommend both operations.

Aloha and welcome to ScubaBoard!
I'm sure you will be getting a load of responses from the Maui diving crowd :cool2:

Word is that the diving off Black Rock by the Sheriton on Ka'anapali is some of the best on Maui. I enjoyed free diving Mala Wharf a couple of years ago. I would think most of the Ka'anapali coast has really good shore diving. It would be a better starter activity before going out on a boat in deep water.

Why are you just going to dive lakes in Houston? Why not motor out to the Garden Banks. The visability has to be a whole lot better out there.

Before we bought a condo in Kihei, we used to stay in our timeshare on Kaanapali Beach (Marriott) and felt it was worth it to make the 45 minute drive to the Kihei boat ramp to catch a charter. Our preferred charter for the past 6 years has been Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures (and still is), but I wouldn't hesitate to book with Makena Coast Charters or B&B. We like Ed Robinson's because they offer charters specifically for the advanced diver, but with your wife as a beginner, you'd want to stick to the regular 2-tank charters if you book with them.

Lahaina Divers would be extremely convenient to you and they do both Molokini and Lanai, and during whale season the long boat ride to Molokini is an amazing whale watch, often seeing multiple breachings, and probably more sightings than you can count on both hands. And if your wife has never been to Maui, the views of the islands from the water is gorgeous. Lahaina Divers does cater to the beginning or vacation diver, so IMO the experienced diver needs to know the profiles are going to be conservative and dive times may be shorter than they'd like. For the beginner, they do an amazing job of taking care of their divers both on and off the boat.

Black Rock is a fantastic shore dive, shallow, easy navigation, and great for a night dive as well. The Sheraton Activity Kiosk used to rent tanks and weights to people, but I heard they stopped doing that, so you'd need to check that out. They do guided dives that include tanks/weights, so that's an option. We rented tanks at Maui Dive Shop, but it was a huge pain to walk them from the parking lot to the ocean.

Ive heard good things about Lahaina divers but never used them. I have had issues though with using dive shops there who cancelled out on me for a not so desirable turnout (Upsetting but I do understand the loosing money) The one shop that I used to be down on has actually pulled through for me was Maui Dive Shop. Not sure that it would be convenient but they are an awesome staff. Just be patient with them if you do decide to go with them because their store staff is sometimes staffed by youth who either seldom dive or dont dive so they may not be a lot of help if you need questions answered.

For a beginner dive though I cant help but keep recommending the inside of Molokini as it has no current most of the time, easy entries and exits and visibility is phenominal. Every divers dream I would suggest!

I really recommend Shaka Divers for a beginner diver as well, because Shaka Doug does beach dives and they are nice and shallow. If she doesn't have her own gear he also provides it all. I really enjoyed how relaxing and not rushed it all felt. Then again, this is coming from someone that prefers beach dives.

I really recommend Shaka Divers for a beginner diver as well, because Shaka Doug does beach dives and they are nice and shallow. If she doesn't have her own gear he also provides it all. I really enjoyed how relaxing and not rushed it all felt. Then again, this is coming from someone that prefers beach dives.

Shaka Doug is even on scubaboard. Just do a member search for ShakaDoug and you should be able to locate him

Thanks for the help folks! Ill keep you posted as to what we decide.

K ellis, I see you're from Broken Arrow, where do you do inland diving, if you do much that is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom