Suggestions wanted for all-around P&S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phantom1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my current all-around everyday & dive use P&S camera. I've always had oly's before but am open to suggestions. the only thing i dont like about my Oly's is the Video limitation to 20 or 30 seconds for the higher res video's so I would like something with a longer time. In addition to using it for diving pictures - (nothing super professional there, usually the subject is 1inch to 10feet away) a good image quality is of course nice. I would like it with( but not necessary) 10x optical, a real good night mode, 8mega pix is good enough, size to fit in my pants pocket but not tiny - 1.5" x 3"x 2" is apx my current size and fits the pocket fine. I would like one with a knob to switch between Pictures and video VS menus, And a price range to about $300, maybe $320 - for the camera only, I'll worry about the housing later. I may even just continue to use the old camera for diving and this for above water. So if there is a great suggestion that doesnt have a housing, I will still consider that.

so... any suggestions??

Thanks

( and PLEASE.. no comments about the 10x zoom turning on by mistake while in my pants pocket!!! :D)

Canon. I have an 850IS that is fantastic above and below water. I use the canon housing without complaint. My dive buddy has a canon G9 and a canon housing and it takes wonderful pics above and below with nearly the control of a SLR. Above water, when the pics are serious, I have a canon T1i...and it is nothing short of amazing. I've never been a brand loyal guy really, I buy what seems best after exhaustive research...but Canon always gets the first look from me these days. They are just that good.

Ask some questions in the photography section of scubaboard....there are some guys in there who have forgotten more about shooting pictures than I'll ever know.

I'm looking to replace my current all-around everyday & dive use P&S camera. I've always had oly's before but am open to suggestions. the only thing i dont like about my Oly's is the Video limitation to 20 or 30 seconds for the higher res video's so I would like something with a longer time. In addition to using it for diving pictures - (nothing super professional there, usually the subject is 1inch to 10feet away) a good image quality is of course nice. I would like it with( but not necessary) 10x optical, a real good night mode, 8mega pix is good enough, size to fit in my pants pocket but not tiny - 1.5" x 3"x 2" is apx my current size and fits the pocket fine. I would like one with a knob to switch between Pictures and video VS menus, And a price range to about $300, maybe $320 - for the camera only, I'll worry about the housing later. I may even just continue to use the old camera for diving and this for above water. So if there is a great suggestion that doesnt have a housing, I will still consider that.

so... any suggestions??

Thanks

( and PLEASE.. no comments about the 10x zoom turning on by mistake while in my pants pocket!!! :D)

Have a look at the Cannon S90, it seems to be all the rage at the moment with the people on the Canon Corner Thread. It's not my ideal choice as an underwater camera, as it has a few limitations for that application, but if you talk to the people who have one they seem to think it is the second coming or something. It has all the right features and takes a briliant photo and it will certainly fit in you pocket.

The other camera I would suggest is the Canon G11 or the just superceded G10. This is my choice of a P&S as it is as close to a dSLR as you can get without the bulk. What would let it down from your point of view is that it is a little large for your Specs. But once again a great camera!

Peter

My vote goes for the G11 for a good all around topside and underwater camera. It is more than your range but I personally think it is worth the extra. It is also one that you can grow with if you want.

Just got my Ikelite housing for my new Canon SD 980. Waiting for the camera to come in. The biggest selling points for me were the 720p video and 24 mm wide angle lens, something the S90 doesn't have. I was always a Nikon guy, but Canon seems to be the only one to offer HD video in a point and shoot. Can't wait to get this stuff wet !!!

Phantom1,

Here's my line up of models I recommend to folks.

I like Canon cameras for simpler menus, great pics and enough volume you can buy a spare camera if sometime down the road yours dies, gets trashed or just want a spare for once in a lifetime trips, etc.

I've listed features and ball park street prices for each camera.

* Canon SD960 IS - 28mm wide end lens, 720P HD video and fits Ikelite Ultra Compact housing

About $250.00 street price

* Canon S980 IS - 24mm wide end lens, 720P video and fits Ikelite Ultra Compact housing - Replacement for SD960 IS although the 960 can still be found easily.

About $300.00 street price

* Canon SX200 IS - 28-336mm OPTICAL zoom range with IS (image stabilization) 720P HD video. Ikelite Compact size housing

About $300.00 street price

* Canon S90 - 28-105mm lens with IS. Shoots RAW, lower noise sensor technology, no HD but HUGE 3" 461,000 pixel LCD - Fits in Ikelite Ultra Compact housing (see my shots in another S90 thread)

$400.00 street price

* Canon G11 - A digital Leica. Same sensor as S90 but 28-140mm lens. Has IS too.

Not super small but great performance. Ikelite housing has TTL circuitry for total flash control via hard wire with Ikelite DS (Digital Substrobes)

$440.00 street price.

Hope this helps and you can Google these models and see pics taken with them.

David Haas

David Haas Underwater Photography

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 37
Canon PowerShot SD980 IS Digital Elph Camera (Gold) with 2 Batteries + Case + Accessory Kit

This is the deal I got. You can't beat it with a stick !! They now say the gold is out of stock, but the other colors are in. Doesn't make a difference to me. It's all about the extra batteries. Gotta have 'em !!

Does it come in pink or poka dots?

That may be a good video unit but probably not a very good camera for photography, no manual is killer even if it does come in colors. N

Does it come in pink or poka dots?

That may be a good video unit but probably not a very good camera for photography, no manual is killer even if it does come in colors. N

For you Rod, sure they do. The thread is about p/s cameras. The vast majority don't come with manual settings and we all know that. The guy wants something around $320 that fits in his pocket with video. Viola..... the SD980.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom