Suggestions wanted for all-around P&S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies. I've looked at them all and also a refurb Olympus SP-350. In your opinions, how does the G11 compare to the older SP-350? I know physically the G11 is about 1/2" larger in all directions but how about image quality, low light, and just general use?

I have an SP-350. It takes nice pictures, but even at ISO 100 you can get some noise. It's slow to focus, especially in low light and even slower to write a RAW shot. Without the best xD card, it can take up to 11 seconds. Focus hunts really close up in super macro, so I often have to take 5 or 6 pics to get one in focus, even with a light on the subject. The plus side is, it can do manual everything, so you have great control over your picture. It even shoots ttl flash in manual mode, which the G10/G11 doesn't. As far as the image is concerned, though, they aren't close. The G11 is about 3 generations newer than the SP. It has almost all the same features, but with a much faster processor, a bigger and brighter screen, longer optical zoom. Also, they seem to take good super macro shots while zoomed. The SP locks its zoom in super macro making it very difficult to get a 1:1 shot unless the port is right on top of the subject, which means good lighting is next to impossible. The native wide angle is also wider. Otherwise, the two cameras have almost identical features, from RAW shooting and manual capability to a hotshoe for electrical flash connection. Also, the SP ONLY uses the crappy Olympus/Fuji xD card, which is slow and maxes out at 2GB. The Canon, I think, uses SDHC cards which are available everywhere, are cheap and come up to something like 64GB. Unfortunately, Olympus hasn't made a camera since the SP that truly excels for UW use. It would be really nice if they'd bring back the c5050 with a modern 12 mp sensor like maybe their 4/3...hint, hint Olympus.

Back
Top Bottom