Suggestions on BP/Wing for 3XL guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the OP wants a lighter BC, it will probably be an aluminum backplate. I am not sure if that's going to eliminate much of the lead weight he is carrying. On the padding, most of it is more or less neutrally buoyant mesh, isn't it?

How about something like the Aqualung Rogue with the big Sure Lock II dumpable weight pockets (10 lbs each)? Add two 2-4 lbs trim pockets on the tank and you're there.

You could just add weight pockets on any BP/W waistband though. xDeep, IST Dolphin, Tecline, lots of brands have them. And since it's all modular, you can add whatever you want.

Interested in putting my vest away and looking for a new system. I like weight integration, consistently use 24-28 pounds. I've been diving for 3 years, AOW cert, and 300+ Caribbean dives. My current system is just too heavy to pack these days. Suggestions?
Maybe repost with more information, exposure protection, what is the present b/c, where you dive/water temps etc.

Look at a Xdeep NX regular (I would not go with quick release buckles due to the amount of weight you use) with the size L aluminum backplate, 4 or 6 trim pockets and the L/XL waist pockets for dumpable weight. The regular does not have the shoulder pads although you could order them and put them on. That will have the protected layered wing...the larger aluminum backplate...the trim pockets for weights...the waist weight pockets and I HIGHLY recommend the 19 or 22" corrugated hose as the standard 16" will be way to short for you...I am 5'10" 190 pounds and use the 19"....at your height I would go with the 22"...It will have 19KG lift which will be plenty for you I highly recommend you talk to Ryan at Aqui Water Sports Lauderdale by the sea...He will set you up...If you go with his harness material it is a LOT softer than the Xdeep harness material

The last trip I dove with 24lbs all week, this trip to Roatan 28 all week. 24 wouldn't do it. At 28 I was a tad over, but it made it easier on me. At 6'3 and 340, there's a lot of buoyancy to compensate for! I do get 55-65 min/ 80 cf tank. I dove with a retired NFL guy in Belize, he had 34, a relatively new diver, and only got about 35 min of downtime.

Believe it or not, your actual weight is not something the BC really cares about and it's not something it has to compensate for.

A buoyancy compensator has to compensate for changes in buoyancy. Your body does not change buoyancy outside of the couple pounds that shift during breathing and that is obviously not something the BC deals with. The two things that the BC has to compensate for is mass of gas in the tank *about 6lbs in an AL80*, and any compression of a wetsuit at depth *typically 2lbs/mm is a good rule of thumb but at your size it may be closer to 3lbs*. Since you're in the tropics, it's pretty safe to say you're in a bathing suit so in terms of lift there isn't much to compensate for.
The second thing it has to do though is be able to float itself at the surface if you have to ditch the rig, or choose to ditch the rig to give it to a dive op on a boat. This is on argument where that amount of lead all being integrated is a bit of a nuisance and you may want to reconsider putting it all on the rig.

A quick google says that the Axiom weighs about 10lbs *the medium was like 8.5, so we'll call it 10lbs* and a bp/w is not going to be much lighter than that and may well be heavier for actual travel if you get a SS plate and want integrated pockets to hold that much lead, but will be considerably easier for you to dive and probably have less total lead since there won't be any padding. Any BP/W can take integrated weight pockets though and since they're modular you can at least take them off if you need to move them around for travel.

On the padding, most of it is more or less neutrally buoyant mesh, isn't it?

My experience (personal and a number of friends) is about 4 lbs less lead by switching to an aluminum now. It's the foam in the padding that I think does it.

Any BP/W can take integrated weight pockets though and since they're modular you can at least take them off if you need to move them around for travel.

What Tbone said! Part of the glory of a simple harness... Need a pocket, add it. Don't use it any more, take it off. Between trim pockets on the cam bands and a couple dump-able pockets on the waist band you should have plenty of room.

Respectfully,

James

If the OP wants a lighter BC, it will probably be an aluminum backplate. I am not sure if that's going to eliminate much of the lead weight he is carrying. On the padding, most of it is more or less neutrally buoyant mesh, isn't it?

How about something like the Aqualung Rogue with the big Sure Lock II dumpable weight pockets (10 lbs each)? Add two 2-4 lbs trim pockets on the tank and you're there.

You could just add weight pockets on any BP/W waistband though. xDeep, IST Dolphin, Tecline, lots of brands have them. And since it's all modular, you can add whatever you want.

You typically get to drop a couple of pounds of lead going from a traditional BCD to a AL backplate. There is almost always some buoyant padding in a standard BCD and usually an abbreviated plastic plate hidden in there somewhere.

I would not want all that weight on the waist even if it could fit it because it will result in awful trim and make normally fun maneuvers like barrel rolls a chore. Again, I'd distribute most of the weight onto the plate using trim pockets like outlined in this video and just have enough on the waist for ditching purposes - no more than 10 pounds total.

Believe it or not, your actual weight is not something the BC really cares about and it's not something it has to compensate for.

A buoyancy compensator has to compensate for changes in buoyancy. Your body does not change buoyancy outside of the couple pounds that shift during breathing and that is obviously not something the BC deals with. The two things that the BC has to compensate for is mass of gas in the tank *about 6lbs in an AL80*, and any compression of a wetsuit at depth *typically 2lbs/mm is a good rule of thumb but at your size it may be closer to 3lbs*. Since you're in the tropics, it's pretty safe to say you're in a bathing suit so in terms of lift there isn't much to compensate for.
The second thing it has to do though is be able to float itself at the surface if you have to ditch the rig, or choose to ditch the rig to give it to a dive op on a boat. This is on argument where that amount of lead all being integrated is a bit of a nuisance and you may want to reconsider putting it all on the rig.

A quick google says that the Axiom weighs about 10lbs *the medium was like 8.5, so we'll call it 10lbs* and a bp/w is not going to be much lighter than that and may well be heavier for actual travel if you get a SS plate and want integrated pockets to hold that much lead, but will be considerably easier for you to dive and probably have less total lead since there won't be any padding. Any BP/W can take integrated weight pockets though and since they're modular you can at least take them off if you need to move them around for travel.
Excellent info that I wasn't aware of, tbone. TY! My BC comes in about 13.25 pounds. It is also very bulky. TY again for the info! Low, thanks for the video, also very informative.

Excellent info that I wasn't aware of, tbone. TY! My BC comes in about 13.25 pounds. It is also very bulky. TY again for the info! Low, thanks for the video, also very informative.
The only thing I'll add to Tbone's excellent explanation, is that there is an argument to be made for putting lead on a separate belt for a balanced rig. The thought is that perfect world is a belt that makes you neutral, and the rig carrying what is needed for it to be neutral with an empty bladder and near empty tank. That way, if you ever had to remove / replace the rig under water you aren't trying to float up while the rig wants to sink.
Not all subscribe to that method, but it's food for thought.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom