Suggestions on BP/Wing for 3XL guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bman940

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Interested in putting my vest away and looking for a new system. I like weight integration, consistently use 24-28 pounds. I've been diving for 3 years, AOW cert, and 300+ Caribbean dives. My current system is just too heavy to pack these days. Suggestions?

So, you are looking for a light(er) weight backplate and wing? Does it need to be tough?

I would suggest something like the xDeep Ghost (very lightweight), but also a single-layer bladder I think. So near wrecks or coral with sharp stuff, maybe not ideal?

I have done a few wrecks and am always around coral taking pics, so definitely want something tough. Integrated weights are important too.

If you want to lower travel weight, then get a BP/W with an aluminum plate. Because of your lead requirements, you'll need 6 trim pockets. 2 go on each cam band (tucked close to the wing) and two on the waist belt. The only ditchable weight will be on your waist, but if your weighting is anywhere near correct, that will be enough.

Speaking of which... That's a huge amount of lead. Have you checked if you really need that much? On a safety stop, when you are down to around 500 psi, fully deflate and stop all movement. If you sink, you are overweighted.

The last trip I dove with 24lbs all week, this trip to Roatan 28 all week. 24 wouldn't do it. At 28 I was a tad over, but it made it easier on me. At 6'3 and 340, there's a lot of buoyancy to compensate for! I do get 55-65 min/ 80 cf tank. I dove with a retired NFL guy in Belize, he had 34, a relatively new diver, and only got about 35 min of downtime.

I would recommend this coupled with a wing with 30 to 35lbs lift.

-Z

The last trip I dove with 24lbs all week, this trip to Roatan 28 all week. 24 wouldn't do it. At 28 I was a tad over, but it made it easier on me. At 6'3 and 340, there's a lot of buoyancy to compensate for! I do get 55-65 min/ 80 cf tank. I dove with a retired NFL guy in Belize, he had 34, a relatively new diver, and only got about 35 min of downtime.

With a BP/W, you’re likely going to be able to drop more lead than just accounted for by the plate, as jacket BCs seem to have padding and such which is buoyant. Take that away and I bet you lose some lead as a result.

My wife got one and now packs all her stuff in a carry on, granted it's a heck of a lot smaller than what I need but it would be nice to pair down the packing size. Gotta have an integrated weight system though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom