Suggestions for stretching a suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWCanuck

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there!

I have an Akona 2 pc 6.5 mm suit. I am having a small problem though and I would love a suggestion or two.

Basically when I got the suit, i didn't have a hood to put with it. I got a hood and went for a dive and lo and behold, now things are too tight and the neck of the suit, with the hood, is too tight and I have issues with breathing.

is there any way to relax the neoprene a little bit so that I can stretch it and take out some of the tension? The rest of the suit fits great but the neck needs a little bit of loosening up.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks.

CW

I have a thick 7mm wetsuit that was nearly impossible to put on when new.

What finally worked for me was buying some dollar-store-quality conditioner, diluting it 1:10 with water, and then pouring that solution in a squirt bottle. Before getting in, spray the wetsuit's arms, legs, and anything else that's too tight liberally with the solution. You can spray some on yourself, too, as needed, and then work the suit on. Several folks gave me that recommendation, and they were on the money.

Some folks I've talked to have tried soaps, too, but they get all sudsy and work into a froth, which is very messy.

Over time, the fabric layers (bonded to the neoprene) of the wetsuit will stretch and conform to you, like a well-worn pair of jeans. The more you dive it, the easier it will be.

The only part of the wetsuit that you really shouldn't try to stretch is the neck... if that's too tight, if could put pressure on your carotid arteries, and you could get into some serious trouble. Sounds like you need to replace that hood with a larger size.

Good luck!

Hey there!

I have an Akona 2 pc 6.5 mm suit. I am having a small problem though and I would love a suggestion or two.

Basically when I got the suit, i didn't have a hood to put with it. I got a hood and went for a dive and lo and behold, now things are too tight and the neck of the suit, with the hood, is too tight and I have issues with breathing.

is there any way to relax the neoprene a little bit so that I can stretch it and take out some of the tension? The rest of the suit fits great but the neck needs a little bit of loosening up.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks.

CW
You can't 'relax' neoprene without cutting it, unless you adjust the velcro closure supplied on the neck of most full wetsuits...

May not be the *best* solution, however, quite a few divers wear the hood bib outside the suit, for that very reason.

Thanks for the input. It might seem like a moot attempt, but I am going to try stretching the hood and the neck of the suit with stuff larger than my neck. The rest of the suit fits fantastic, I just can't breath in the thing with the hood tucked in.

Worst case scenario, I use my drysuit hood and deal with the "cold spot"

Yes I know Why dive wet when I could be nice and snug in my drysuit... long story short, I have a couple courses I am taking and the learning curve of the drysuit will just serve to be a distraction and a hazard...drysuit comes in June or July **grins**

CW

How did the stretching go? I mean I have a 7mm akona one piece and it is a little snug in the neck. More like cut in the wrong place for my neck I guess as it is tight on the front throat area and I have a bit of extra room in the back. I just got a hood and have yet to mate them. I worry it might be too tight when together. I am thinking of cutting the neck line like an inch or less, since the seal in the neck line is wider than that and hoping for the best.

Don't these suits have a Velcro adjustment for the neck seal?

Is the suit too tight or is any suit compression exacerbating a tight hood?

The hood can easily be relaxed by inflating a volleyball inside of the neck area and letting it stand for a day or so.

Do not dive in a suit that is distressingly tight in the neck area. You could find yourself passed out at a bad time.

Pete

i don't think it is distressingly tight, just uncomfortable when I lean forward really. I haven't tried it on with the hood I havwe. The hood is too tight at the chin and I worry aboit about it with the wetsuit. I have thought about trimming the wetsuit neckline but haven't decided what to do yet.

I think I will try the wolleyball trick first.

Don't these suits have a Velcro adjustment for the neck seal?

Is the suit too tight or is any suit compression exacerbating a tight hood?

The hood can easily be relaxed by inflating a volleyball inside of the neck area and letting it stand for a day or so.

Do not dive in a suit that is distressingly tight in the neck area. You could find yourself passed out at a bad time.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom