Suggestions for Christmas present for hubby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey:
Hey...I know you :05: You're KK right?

Bill is trying to talk me into diving this weekend but I don't think I qualify as "experienced" when it comes to dry suit diving.

Those canister lights are attractive but expensive. Between training and next year's liveaboard I don't think a canister light that is over $500 is in the card's for the hubby.
You folks have some seriously expensive tastes!!!

Irene
Nope, not KK. I don't think we've met... I'll PM you.

Doesn't matter to me if you're an experienced DS diver... the only way to get experience is to experience, right :D I know a couple neat sites in Rez Bay for the les experienced. This weekend is out, though as I have to work both days :frown:

As for the can light, even a less expensive 10W HID or a Halogen one is well worth the $$ spent.... just ask most any DIR inductee :D

Too bad Dive shops don't have registers like Nordstrom's. You know. Where you register for gifts when you're getting married or having a baby. You make a huge list of all the things you want and then people just look at it and start buying you things off it.

Would make it easier on family members who want to buy us dive gear but don't want to get something we don't need or want.

For around $100. you can get a black knee length dive coat. It has fleece on the inside, coated nylon on the outside and a hood. It can be used to change beneath and keeps the wind and rain off the body. I love mine!

Halcyon Scout backup light for $80. is good also.

Dry gloves?

A nice tackle box to be used as a save a dive kit.

Nitrox fill cards stuffed into his stocking.

Does he have a computer? (To log dives with, of course!) If not, you might want to look into the Sensus Pro. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

scubamickey:
Hi again,

My hubby is going DIR. Willbe starting formal classes this month. He already has a new Halcyon BC and owns a Scubapro reg so he's good to go on that. Mask and fins all good.

I want to start thinking about his Christmas present now in case it's something that needs to be ordered. I'm fortunate, our LDS is Dive Alaska and they are a DIR place.
But what do I get him?

What sort of items would a new diver to DIR need?
Please suggest away...

Look into getting him some good dive planning software. I use DecoPlan available at
the Halcyon website. It will provide him an extended basis to understand diving and
dive profiling/planning. This will become even more a valuable tool should be become
(or already is) NITROX or TriMix certified.

He don't need that? Pay for his TriOx class. He will thank you for it 10 fold over.

SeanQ:
Does he have a computer? (To log dives with, of course!) If not, you might want to look into the Sensus Pro. I'm thinking of getting one myself.
Being that he's going the DIR route, a plain ol' bottom timer may be a better option... and cheaper than a computer that can be put in guage mode :D

Drygloves are about $150 (from www.covci.com) and are obviously quite nice.

A pair of Halcyon Scout backup lights would be cool. A bit under $200.

Spring straps for his fins? If he doesn't have them, he will LOVE them. $40 or so.

A Halcyon surface marker and spool would run $100 something.

The Sensus Pro is an awesome idea too.. I have one and it's my favorite gadget.

scubamickey:
Too bad Dive shops don't have registers like Nordstrom's. You know. Where you register for gifts when you're getting married or having a baby. You make a huge list of all the things you want and then people just look at it and start buying you things off it.

Would make it easier on family members who want to buy us dive gear but don't want to get something we don't need or want.

My local dive shop does this and it is a great help to SOs of divers. You might consider suggesting it to your LDS.

As far as reasonably priced holiday gifts consider:

1. SMB (just find out if he wants an open or closed one)

2. Spools (Gulftex , Salvo , Extreme Exposure , and Dive Rite Express are good on-line places to find them.

3. Back-up lights (my personal preference is the Photon Torpedo from Gulftex

4. Spare mask

5. Reel (Salvo or Extreme Exposure)

6. Primary Light - If $500 is the magic number here, a Sea Elite non-focusable 10w is only $499 - it is made by Barry Miller of Salvo Diving and is a bargain at that price.

7. Wetnotes (can probably be sourced from your LDS just like much of the stuff above except for the Sea Elite light)

8. Safety Sausage

9. Any of the books from GUE's reading list

10. Pay for his DIR-F class or next class in his training progression.

Jackie

how about a nice set of double's? (if 500 is your limit you should still be able to pull this off with AL80's). Or how about just good old "backup gear"...spare reg setup...spare mask...spare fins...etc etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom