Suggestions for a Hands-Free light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will drive your buddy nuts if that's a factor. Even if you don't look at them (which you will tend to do from time to time) every time you turn your head it looks like you are signaling for help.

RJP, I realized after shooting off a quick reply, that we may or may not be talking about the same incident. I don't recall the name of the victim. I don't believe it was even revealed in our post mortem analysis. Usually out of respect for the deceased, the names are not given in a presentation such as this. Their initials may be used occasionally; also their eyes will typically be blacked out in the autopsy photographs for the same purpose.

Most of my diving has been and will be in clear water - and I make a point of not kicking up silt; so backscatter is not my main concern. However, if it does become a problem, I would resort to a handheld back-up light.

In looking at what is out there at this time, perhaps the OMS head-mounted light is the best solution for me. I'll just suck it up and order some batteries on-line. For daytime use (and back-up), I will use one of the new Sartek lights (220 lumens with 3 AA bateries) - this will work well for looking under ledges and so on.

Perhaps after a few night dives with this configuration, I will report back on my experiences - although it is a bit of a risk with this crowd. I am quite sure that an alternate configuration -irrespective of its merits- will be rather offensive to those who are heavily invested in the status quo. Sorry to be so defensive about things, but it is frustrating to get a barrage of "Why would you do that?" replies to a pretty straight forward question.

I use these: Home

They mount on the back of your hand and are easy to use...

Work in and out of the water also.

I am quite sure that an alternate configuration -irrespective of its merits- will be rather offensive to those who are heavily invested in the status quo. Sorry to be so defensive about things, but it is frustrating to get a barrage of "Why would you do that?" replies to a pretty straight forward question.

Don't be so thin skinned, dude!

:D

But seriously, ultimately you need to do what's most comfortable for you and works for the way you want to dive. Folks here (myself included) are simply pointing out that there are already some "tried and true solutions" to the problem your looking to overcome, and also that there are some obvious shortcomings to the solution you're looking to employ. If those shortcomings are acceptable to you - and not unbearable to your dive buddy and others you're diving with - that's great. Hopefully you WILL post your experience with whatever rig you go with.

It's not about being "heavily invested in the status quo" it's merely about people having a little experience and a lot of strong opinions - and isn't that what the internet's all about!

:eyebrow:

It's rather like asking you what's the best way to take out my appendix. Your first response will be that I'm not trained and that in any event it's not a good idea to take out my own appendix.

I could respond that I didn't ask you for permission! I just want to know the best technique and which scalpel to use.:)

Otherwise, the real answer is to use whatever small light you have and attach it to your mask strap, forehead, or helmet. No real need for advice there.:wink:

It's rather like asking you what's the best way to take out my appendix. Your first response will be that I'm not trained and that in any event it's not a good idea to take out my own appendix.

I could respond that I didn't ask you for permission! I just want to know the best technique and which scalpel to use.:)

Otherwise, the real answer is to use whatever small light you have and attach it to your mask strap, forehead, or helmet. No real need for advice there.:wink:

That is an interesting analogy. What I was hoping for as a reply was something like "I use x strap on my small light to attach to my forehead (or mask strap), that I bought from x and am happy with this solution." I have seen some very high end solutions for this that are marketed to the professional recovery diver. These are quite a bit more than I want to invest. The OMS light is probably the best (within reasonable pricing) off the shelf light I can find for this application. And if I find the back-scatter to be too much of a nuisance, it can also be strapped to the back of the hand. I just have to get over my aversion to the somewhat non-standard battery size.

You are right Bryan, I do not advise performing your own appendectomy. But should you choose to you'll need....Just kidding.

That is an interesting analogy. What I was hoping for as a reply was something like "I use x strap on my small light to attach to my forehead (or mask strap), that I bought from x and am happy with this solution." I have seen some very high end solutions for this that are marketed to the professional recovery diver. These are quite a bit more than I want to invest. The OMS light is probably the best (within reasonable pricing) off the shelf light I can find for this application. And if I find the back-scatter to be too much of a nuisance, it can also be strapped to the back of the hand. I just have to get over my aversion to the somewhat non-standard battery size.

You are right Bryan, I do not advise performing your own appendectomy. But should you choose to you'll need....Just kidding.

One of the small UK lights that comes with an attachment for strapping to the mask are the only ones I've actually seen anyone use underwater in the way that you are interested. So that's all that I can offer.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom