Suggestions for a backup computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, if your backup is more conservative than your primary, it is either going to control your dive or lock you out if you do not satisfy your deco obligations.

Okay.
No problem.
I'm still diving, and not sitting out.
When I'm recreational, I don't dive so close to my NDLs that a conservative backup computer will lock me out due to deco.

And I'm taking my lady out to dinner (more than once) with the $700 that I saved.
:yeahbaby:
Don't flame me. I just being practical (and having fun).

I would dive something with the same proprietary, middle of the road, algorithm What happened to your old Sol or Luna? You could dive the backup off the same transmitter.

I'm planning a dive vacation and, as has been pointed out, if my primary computer goes out for some reason I can continue with the backup.

I sold my Galileo Sol because I thought it was too large to use a backup.
Adam

Okay.
No problem.
I'm still diving, and not sitting out.
When I'm recreational, I don't dive so close to my NDLs that a conservative backup computer will lock me out due to deco.

And I'm taking my lady out to dinner (more than once) with the $700 that I saved.
:yeahbaby:
Don't flame me. I just being practical (and having fun).
No flames, none of my computers cost $700. However, I would be limited in my dives by a conservative computer. Obviously, determined by your gas consumption...

I'm planning a dive vacation and, as has been pointed out, if my primary computer goes out for some reason I can continue with the backup.

Adam

Hi Adam, maybe you could find another Scubapro computer to match the G2. They have many wrist computers.

Adam
I use my Sol as my backup, to learn & test the G2. I also dive a M2. Yes, three computers. But I am in the SCUBA biz. I must know, understand & trust my products. If they pass my test & I believe in them, then I sell them.

Your backup should be a less conservative computer than the primary one otherwise the backup will be the controlling computer and you will have to go by the backup instead of the main/primary computer. SP has other less expensive smaller wrist computers you can use. There is even a 3 mix technical computer with a small profile you can use.

And any of the Oceanics with a DSAT option should be fine. It's possible but hard to get more liberal then that. (If you don't mind diving a liberal algorithm)

I'm thinking of the Scubapro Tec 3G, because the manual uses the same algorithmic phraseology like PDIS and MB Levels as the Galileos. It's also one of the few with the push on/off backlight,and holes for bungee strap.

I agree the backup should be slightly more liberal or the same as the primary. One time I used a Suunto Vyper as a backup to my Galileo Sol, and after a slightly short surface interval the Vyper went into deco and there was a huge discrepancy between the Galileo and Vyper. In the end I surfaced in the Vyper's deco and it locked out for 48 hours.

Adam

Last edited:
Actually I have thought about the same for my new G2. One question, what about air integration? If you back it up then you would want AI that works with your transmitter or have a separate SPG. The M2 looks interesting.

Last edited:
Actually I have thought about the same for my new G2. One question, what about air integration? If you back it up then you would want AI that works with your transmitter or have a separate SPG. The M2 looks interesting.
I have a small SPG clipped to a D ring on the left side of the waist belt. It's handy as a backup to the digital pressure readings and also to know tank pressure before the computer shows the pressure. That's a better backup than another computer working off the same transmitter.

Back
Top Bottom