Suggestions for a backup computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not just rent a dive computer from where ever you are headed? Or borrow one from a dive friend in exchange for a 12 pack of good beer.

If these are all rec dives with descent surface intervals the chances of having the backup get bent is slim.

FWIW on a trip once we forgot to switch the altitude setting on my wife's computer. On the third dive of the second day it got bent wanting a 20 minute stop. We just said screw it for the other three days and threw caution to the wind and dove anyways. She just stayed above me, splashed after me, and was first out. All of the dives were rec dives under 90' with an hour plus for the SI.

Last edited:
Good idea to have a backup SPG. I agree that you don't want your backup to be a limiting factor so having a similar algorithm makes sense.

I have a back-up with a less conservative setting. I am diving regularly a few minutes beyond NDL on my main computor, set on rather conservative settings.
In case of emergency or problem, I can use my back-up computor to get faster out of the water. Knowing of course, that the odds of getting an ADD are higher.

Sometimes the possibility to have to go to the chamber looks more attractive than the chance to drown :eyebrow:

Actually I have thought about the same for my new G2. One question, what about air integration? If you back it up then you would want AI that works with your transmitter or have a separate SPG. The M2 looks interesting.

no need for that. Keep a backup SPG in your save a dive kit, but if your primary computer fails, the dive is over, so head up. You can put an analog spg on there, but I've seen a lot more HP hose failures lately than I have WAI and modern computer failures *low battery cutoffs ignored because that puts redundant gear in equipment solution for a skills problem*.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom