Suggestions for a backup computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have ideas for an inexpensive backup computer for my Scubapro G2. I'm looking for something easy to read and preferably that can be put into a bungee mount.

I have the Oceanic BUD. Designed as a backup computer, it has two algorithms to match other computers. It has a built in clip to clip off on a D ring or in a pocket. Clip it on and forget about it. Was about $200.

Not sure on availability, though, since Oceanic was bought out.

I would dive something with the same proprietary, middle of the road, algorithm What happened to your old Sol or Luna? You could dive the backup off the same transmitter.

@Hatul why do you feel the need for a backup computer?

My Cobalt 2 lost its high pressure seal and started bubbling in the middle of a dive, 1 1/2 years after factory service.
We ascended and disconnected it. Took my $50 eBay Veo 100 out of my BCD pocket and continued with our second dive of the day.

I would have been severely p.o.'ed if that had happened in Bonaire during my $2000 dive vacation after dive #18 on day 4 with all my slow compartment N2 no longer accounted for. Sit out for a day and watch my buddies have fun?

A cheap backup computer is a no-brainer for me.

Actually, I've moved up in the world: just sold my Veo 100 and bought an $80 used Veo NX180 for my BCD pocket. Now even backup is Nitrox capable for pennies.

Last edited:
Anyone have ideas for an inexpensive backup computer for my Scubapro G2. I'm looking for something easy to read and preferably that can be put into a bungee mount.
Tying on to Hatul's question, should the backup be the same decompression model as your primary computer?

My first backup for my Oceanic DSAT computer was a Cochran EMC-14, the decompression algorithms were quite close, with the Cochran being a little bit more liberal. I dived an Oceanic Geo 2 as backup for many years, the NDLs were within a minute. I dive a Dive Rite Nitek Q now, to learn Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors. It does not track to DSAT straightforwardly, but I have it pretty well figured out.

Tying on to Hatul's question, should the backup be the same decompression model as your primary computer?

Now we're nitpicking, guys.
What it should be, is CHEAP.
You're talking about a rare occurrence in the first place. All you want to do is be able to keep diving. If you're diving so close to your no stop limits that you need to be thinking about which algorithm your BACKUP has, then you've already gone out and bought one. Or you're the type of deco diver that only uses gauge mode and preplanned ascent profiles.

Nah! You don't need the same algorithm.
If you look at your backup and it has any NDL time on it, then you're ready to go diving again!
If your focus on the algorithm is that acute, then you've already planned for it.

My next computer is a Shearwater, so I can shift to Buhlmann with GF's.
But for now, I'm happy.

Now we're nitpicking, guys.
What it should be, is CHEAP.
You're talking about a rare occurrence in the first place. All you want to do is be able to keep diving. If you're diving so close to your no stop limits that you need to be thinking about which algorithm your BACKUP has, then you've already gone out and bought one. Or you're the type of deco diver that only uses gauge mode and preplanned ascent profiles.

Nah! You don't need the same algorithm.
If you look at your backup and it has any NDL time on it, then you're ready to go diving again!
If your focus on the algorithm is that acute, then you've already planned for it.

My next computer is a Shearwater, so I can shift to Buhlmann with GF's.
But for now, I'm happy.
Sorry, if your backup is more conservative than your primary, it is either going to control your dive or lock you out if you do not satisfy your deco obligations.

Back
Top Bottom