Suggestion on Dry undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for suggestions on undergarments that I can buy from any regular store. I want to buy something not tailor made for scuba as it increases cost a lot. What do you guys wear? I will be Diving in 40+* water (currently 46*). I did my pool session and just wore an exposure suit under it and was fine. I wore 3 pairs of wool socks to fit my boots. I have a base layer that I wear when cross-country skiing and some fleece of unknown weight. I am thinking of using my base, fleece vest, fleece PJ bottoms, and buying Men's Super 200 Cresta Fleece Jacket: Fleece Jackets | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean to help protect my core.

-Hostage

For what it's worth, the undergarments made as "technical outdoor gear" are made from the same materials. I have plenty of polypro undergarments bought for mountain climbing that are identical materials and I only paid $15-$20 per garment in places like Target.

I will have to double check Target. One problem about buying fleece a lot of them don't tell the weight :-\

I do see some drysuit undergarments going on ebay for ~$100

---------- Post added April 27th, 2012 at 02:45 PM ----------

...then again Target stops selling Winter things and starts selling bathing suits in winter...go figure. I have to wait till Summer to buy a fleece from them or winter to buy a bathing suit.

I didn't find anything good on their website, though I did buy my "base" layer from them for cheap.

low-40s with a base wicking layer and the undergarment which is 2 layers of 250g polartec. I go with wicking socks and wool socks too.

Hostage, I've taken Ron's 250g garments to 35*, and his 100g garments to 50* and I've been plenty comfortable. I wear wicking clothing under the garment. I'm a big fan of Ron's garments. If you don't see your size, contact him, he will look to see what he has. HTH

I am looking at 2 LAYERS OF POLARTEC 250G/SQM DRYSUIT UNDERGARMENT -LARGE COLOR OLIVE GREEN | eBay is that the same thing you have TNRonin? I just have to measure myself.

Out of curiosity does your guys faces get really cold from diving in this water? I am a little worried about buying all this stuff and realize i hate diving this cold water lol. I was trying out some 5mm gloves and didn't like them at all. It felt like it was hard to use my power inflator, very little dexterity.

I wish they had something similar to those hand warmers football players use for scuba.

Here is something similar. TWO LAYERS OF POLARTEC 250G/SQM DRYSUIT UNDERGARMENT MED/LARGE COLOR CHARCOAL | eBay

Yours reads basically the same, but the outside shell may be different. Check with Ron.

I'm about as novice as you can be, but from my limited experience, your face goes numb and then all is good. LOL

I dove with a guy with a lip guard, he seemed to like it.

Re: gloves, you need to try different gloves to find the ones you like. I bought some cheapy 5mm from tommy d's sports and I've been happy with them. And for the price it was worth a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom