Suggest dive operator Hopkins Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemom65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to Belize in April and want to do some diving with whale sharks. The Hamanasi resort is booked so we plan to stay at Belizean Dreams. I'd like to pre-book my dives, but Hamanasi won't let people not staying at resort to book in advance. I'd hate to get there and not have something lined up. Can anyone recommend a good dive op from that area?

Hey Divemom

Other than Hamanasi I dont know of any other dive op in the area although that does not mean to say there isnt one. Maybe one of the other Belize guys knows.

Hopkins is really a small place that would be hard to support more than one dive shop year round.

Gaz Cooper

Hopkins Underwater Adventures

I found the above via the new PADI app for my iPhone and iPad.

If you have not already booked and paid for your room, you may want to consider going to Placencia instead. If you don't want to do that, and the dive shop that Downing mentioned does not work out, you could consider renting a car and driving to Placencia each day - about a 45 minute to 1 hour drive. April is busy for whale sharks so you should book as soon as possible for that to make sure you have a space. You can check us out at splashbelize.com.

As I understand it, Hamanasi haven't said the OP can't dive with them, merely that he can't reserve in advance. Although that does strike me as rather odd behaviour. nonetheless it is very likely that he will in fact be able to dive with them. I wonder whether he was told that by someone with authority to speak for the dive centre, or whether it was someone guessing?

When we were in Belize three years ago we stayed right next to the Hamanasi, at the Jaguar Reef Lodge. We really enjoyed it there, and I'd stay there again rather than at Hamanasi. The dive operator that is set up at Jaguar Reef also has a dive shop nearby and I'd use them again in an instant. I believe the operation is called "Second Nature Divers" or something similar. You might want to check with them and see what they offer.

Will be heading to Hopkins on Wednesday for 9 days, haven't booked any diving yet. I have found three charter companies in the area. I will post whoever I get to dive with and let you know how they are after the dives. Any other info you want let me know. We are doing the beach house thing, so hope I can get some dive time with out staying at a resort.

Have a great trip and definitely let me know who you dive with. Are you planning to rent a car? I got a really expensive $900 rate from Budget. I'm wondering if there is a local rental agent. They charge $115 each way to drop the car at the Dangriga airstrip and then mandatory insurance, so that's a little steep. I look forward to your trip report. Thanks, Divemom

We used Buy Belize for our rental car, $617 for 9 days with insurance. Toyota 4 runner 4x4, but it is located in BZE City. I dove with Hopkins Underwater Adventures yesterday to Glovers Caye. Fantastic dive site, 3 tank dive for $190 use, juice water and lunch included. Lucie and Declan own it. Well run, very knowledgeable Dive Master. info@hopkinsunderwateradventures.com 501 633 3401. They are making a run to Blue Hole Saturday. I will hopefully have time for the Tournfull? island atol dive early next week. Good luck and enjoy this beautiful country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom