Suggest a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tonnage you get is determined by the vessels you served on. You won't be able to get, say a 100 ton working on a 6 pak off the Keys. They count 4 hours as 1 day but not 8 hours as 2 days. They do count 1.5 days at sea for every day you lived on the vessel while it was underway. As mentioned, Sea School will take you through the whole process including ALL the paperwork.

Maybe you would be kind enough to break down the different licenses and requirements for a USA newbie ? What takes what to drive? Got licenses for Europe and Scandinavia but not for USA.

Are you a US citizen? One of the requirements for a license is US citizenship. A non-citizen can get an operator's permit, but operators are limited to uninspected vessels (6-packs).

The tonnage you get is determined by the vessels you served on. You won't be able to get, say a 100 ton working on a 6 pak off the Keys. They count 4 hours as 1 day but not 8 hours as 2 days. They do count 1.5 days at sea for every day you lived on the vessel while it was underway. As mentioned, Sea School will take you through the whole process including ALL the paperwork.
That four hours is tough. I've got maybe 700 days on the water, but only about 10
got to four hours underway.

It's all about how you fill out the forms.
Personally I dont see how you can spend less than 4 hours on a boat. Most of my days are from 7 am to 7 pm.

It's all about how you fill out the forms.
Personally I dont see how you can spend less than 4 hours on a boat. Most of my days are from 7 am to 7 pm.

It's not "on the boat", it's "underway". Boat has 900 hours on it in about 700 days
on the water. We have a fine dive site ("The Barge") about 300' outside the harbor,
and a whole lot more within 3 nm.

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom