Sugar Cottage - South Kona Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Green Sand is beautiful and well worth the trip. You don't have to hike—local rednecks will drive you out in their 4X4s for a fee. Even so, probably not worth trying to dive there—conditions are often rough and it's a steep climb down to to the beach after you're dropped off. I believe a diver was lost there a couple of months ago.
I live down at South Point and know all the folks that shuttle. Not really "redneck". Just local guys earning a living and getting tourists in and out safely with a little aloha along the way. I located the guy who drown there a few months back for search and rescue. He was not diving. It is a dangerous beach and not much to see without a dpv. Mostly sand until you get out past bay where currents pick up quick. Also its unlikely youll get a guide to take your gear out due to space and safety.
Great report and pics op. Glad you enjoyed yourself and maximized that bottom time. Solid!

The Miloli'i Pier is easy to miss. There is a right turn into an alley that gets you to the pier. When headed South the turn is before the church. You'll see the pier and a beach entry area and can backtrack to get to the pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom