Sugar barge in Bradenton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might be interested next weekend, just say a time and mention a place to park/gear up etc.

fgray1:
Anyone ever dove it?
I hear it's close to shore in around 20' of water.
I was thinking of doing it soon.
Need info if you have it.
Fred
The Sugar Barge is not a bad dive but a mile further north is Spanish Rocks which is much better IMO. It's a low, pretty reef about two or three hundred yards long with all sorts of marine life on it. If you need a buddy email me.

Fred

Thanks!! Hmmm. I'm thinking two tanks!

Two my left foot! There's a dive shop right there... dive, refill tank, dive more, refill tank.. dive again for fun, refill tank.. oh the sun is still up, lets dive again.... refill tank

My only concern about this site has been mentioned many times before about it, the viz would be the same pretty much all the way up the gulf coast, at Venice, Sugar Barge and Spanish Rocks. Just wondering what braille "wreck" diving would be like in <1ft viz?

I am happy enough not seeing a thing when searching for teeth, but not seeing nails or other sharp objects in time (assuming there are some on this boat) - or not seeing the boat due to be too far >1ft away for safety dont sound like fun. Does the viz clear up considerably when the summer comes along and the fronts stop passing through (less waves and wind to stir things up)???

I like an adventure, i just would also like to see what i am seconds away from bumping into or puncturing myself/my gear on!! I know you older guys dont bleed as fast, and so you dont really care, but i would prefer a day where we knew we might even see something. I would still like to give it a go in the next few weeks. Others had interest before, H2Andy and Scubafool i think mentioned it on another Venice thread.

BTW Fred, i still havent got the reason you keep calling me Simmon and not just Simon, i have seen it in a few posts now (maybe 10) are you fingers getting that bent out of shape? :wink:

I don't think you have to worry about running into it. It is an old wooden ship that is mostly disintegrated. There is some calculation with the tides (I can't remember exactly) but if you call the dive shop (Seatrek) they will be happy to let you know when the best time is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom