Suffered DCS for the first time and terrified to dive again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbird,
May I ask if your symptoms resolved completely after your treatment?
DDM

Last edited:
I'd say that second dive was you're biggest problem. Max depth of over 80' with an ascent at the end from 45' to surface in just over a minute and no safety stop.

I'm no expert, but I agree that my ascent on the second dive appeared quite rapid. My exact recollection is a bit fuzzy, but I do recall there was a strong swell and I was having problems keeping oriented towards the safety buoy my DM had set up for me. I remember looking at my computer and seeing a zero, and assuming that meant my safety stop was finished. At that point I was terribly cold, so probably rushed the last 10 feet to the surface.

I'd say that second dive was you're biggest problem. Max depth of over 80' with an ascent at the end from 45' to surface in just over a minute and no safety stop.
Divernoob makes an interesting point.

If the OP is wondering what could have been done to enhance safety on these two dives, one thing that probably would have made the dive day safer is a safety stop in the 10-20 fsw range. Many computers recommend only a 3 minute stop at that depth. It might be prudent to extend that duration to 5-7 minutes, provided that gas supply, cold tolerance, and other logistical considerations permit. I like dive sites where there is a shallow reef at safety stop depth. The light is wonderful for photos/videos, the water can be warmer, and one's air supply lasts longer. I realize that Cozumel drift diving doesn't always provide this kind of opportunity.

jbird,
May I ask if your symptoms resolved completely after your Table 6, or do you have residuals?
Best regards,
DDM

The irony is she's my ex-wife (soon to be).

My symptoms appear resolved after this incident, although for some reason I now speak with a scottish accent. (kidding)

And based on the feedback I have received from this forum, I am no longer terrified. I think it prudent to get a thorough physical from a doctor familiar in diving, but in all likelihood this was user error. This was a particularly upsetting few days, because I had invested $thousands and hundreds of hours to make this my new hobby to try and take my mind of the divorce.

I've played rugby, sailed, mountain biked, and even played D&D!, and its community that makes these things so worthwhile. I look forward to growing as a diver and giving back to the community.

jbird,

Ditto what TeamCasa said - thanks for your posting. I'm following this as it evolves, and it takes some guts to come on here and give the details of your accident. I'm very glad to hear about your good experience with DAN.

Nearly every diver we see tells us, "But the computer said it was ok", or some variation of that. Following what your computer tells you does not preclude you from getting decompression sickness. It can still happen, and it's not always possible to pin down the events that lead up to it. It's difficult to really tell this, but comparing the the profiles to a square decompression profile, it appears as if you may have dove the computer algorithm close to the edge. On top of being cold, this may have been a factor in your DCS.

DCS is not a badge of shame, it's an athletic injury. You've clearly had a learning experience and I don't think the lesson will be lost on you. You also did several things right:

1. You called the dive when you were cold.
2. You listened to your wife (who deserves a pat on the back) and sought help. You'd be surprised how many bent divers we see who end up riding the round room more times than they need to because they deny their symptoms.
3. You sought help here and through that, you've figured out what you could have done differently. You've also made your experience available to others, which is commendable.

May I ask if your symptoms resolved completely after your Table 6, or do you have residuals?

Best regards,
DDM

I'm sorry y'all, this thread is going much faster than I can write. I deleted my original post after the OP posted his profiles. I'm going to re-post it here with a few modifications.

The irony is she's my ex-wife (soon to be).

My symptoms appear resolved after this incident, although for some reason I now speak with a scottish accent. (kidding)

And based on the feedback I have received from this forum, I am no longer terrified. I think it prudent to get a thorough physical from a doctor familiar in diving, but in all likelihood this was user error. This was a particularly upsetting few days, because I had invested $thousands and hundreds of hours to make this my new hobby to try and take my mind of the divorce.

I've played rugby, sailed, mountain biked, and even played D&D!, and its community that makes these things so worthwhile. I look forward to growing as a diver and giving back to the community.

Wow! I took up SCUBA right before my divorce, too! Great minds think alike, eh jbird?:D

I'll join the ranks who thank you for posting your profiles. No shame in it, and if we can all learn from it, we'll all be better divers. Kudos, dude!

I'm glad to read that your systems have resolved, too.

What kind of computer were you using?

wopr.jpg

apologies in advance I have a warped sense of humor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I took up SCUBA right before my divorce, too! Great minds think alike, eh jbird?:D

I'll join the ranks who thank you for posting your profiles. No shame in it, and if we can all learn from it, we'll all be better divers. Kudos, dude!

I'm glad to read that your systems have resolved, too.

I am always looking for dive buddies. I hear there is great diving in Vegas. :D

The issue of hydration status has been raised. I think it's at least worth mentioning that over-hydrating can be bad, too. Perhaps it's best to recommend that a diver stay physically fit and properly hydrated for the activity at hand. People should know that excessive water intake can create dangerous electrolyte imbalances, particularly in the context of exercise.

Given a great deal of excess it is possible to over hydrate with water, bringing on hyponatremia or “water intoxication,” a condition of abnormally low sodium in the blood.

Fortunately, the healthy human body is able to excrete and tolerate a very large quantity of water without adverse affect provided it is imbibed at anything approaching a sensible rate. Considering the dehydrating effect of diving due to several mechanisms (e.g., elevated ambient temperatures, immersion diuresis, breathing extremely dry air), bringing on hyponatremia during active scuba would seem quite a feat.

While over-hydration may be more common than has generally been thought, it appears to remain a very low probability event. In adults it is most frequently seen in association with high–endurance activities like marathons, strenuous hiking or cycling and long military marches where there is excessive water intake within an inadequately long time span.

As dehydration is thought by a number of experts to have a possible association with DCS, many divers endeavor to drink lots of liquids. While this is a good thing, it of course should be done with some degree of moderation. And, it's a wise idea to balance water intake with sports drinks formulated to match the body's natural levels of potassium, citrate and sodium chloride. Be aware that many sports drinks actually contain very little salt, so be sure to read and understand the product labeling.

The signs and symptoms of water intoxication can include nausea, headache, muscle weakness, apathy, fatigue, confusion, convulsions and coma.

If you are properly hydrated you will not be thirsty, have dry mouth or sticky saliva and will urinate regularly and copiously with output being a pale straw color.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom