Suffered DCS for the first time and terrified to dive again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny you should say that, because one guy was really antsy on getting back diving ASAP. And in retrospect, his dive profile was way different than mine. I was in caves and swimthroughs, while he was cruising above the reef. For some inexplicable reason (rust perhaps), I did not check my computer at this point.

Also, I was able to download the dive profiles, and they look nothing like yours. Honestly they are embarrassing.

Well, by all means, post 'em. There are some very knowledgable and helpful folks here who could probably give you some very useful insight with your profile info.

Update:
My surface interval was 1 hour 13 minutes.
5 minutes before my the end of my time, it appears I entered deco.

Another lesson for you kids out there: if you are a travel diver who dives 2-3 times a year for a week at a time, get a refresher course or at least some pool time before you leave. Your equipment is only as important as its user.

Update:
My surface interval was 1 hour 13 minutes.
5 minutes before my the end of my time, it appears I entered deco.
It's unclear when you entered "deco mode."
It would be helpful to post the entirety of the two dive profiles. The Suunto software will show flags when you entered deco mode or when any ascent rate violations occurred. Moreover, the profiles will reveal any "deep" stops or safety stops you might have conducted.
Was this your first day of diving? If not, how many days of diving did you do prior to the day in question? All of that influences your nitrogen-loading status, you know.

Well, by all means, post 'em. There are some very knowledgable and helpful folks here who could probably give you some very useful insight with your profile info.

Here you go. Be gentle.

Attachments

• Dive 1.jpg
    Dive 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Dive 2.jpg
    Dive 2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 309
If your dive computer was set correctly, your profile was reasonable (not too many huge zigs and zags), and you are certain you weren't pushing any limits, it would be an excellent idea to get checked out thoroughly by a doctor with specific training in hyperbaric medicine. You might consider getting checked for a PFO. Simply getting checked doesn't imply getting a PFO repaired, even if it is discovered that you have one. Call DAN again and get information about the nearest trained hyperbaric physician in Toronto; then go discuss options for a thorough investigation into your incident. Take a printout of your dive profiles along with any history you can get from the ER and chamber in Cozumel. If you are predisposed for some reason to DCS and your dive profiles are shown to be agressive/bumping up to the limits, you can evaluate your future dive planning accordingly. Maybe you'll dive only Nitrox on air tables; maybe you'll only dive shallower dives; maybe you'll find out you need to hydrate more or keep warmer or whatever. But only after an investigation and analysis will you be able to assess what to do about your diving.

Here you go. Be gentle.
@jbird71: In Dive #1, there are 6 "!" flags. Dive #2 shows only one "!" flag (likely ascent rate violation). Could you please tell us which "!" flags indicate ascent rate violations and which ones indicate "deco mode"?

FWIW, ascent rate violations can occur very easily with wrist-mounted Suunto computers. Wearing the computer on the left wrist and operating the exhaust button on the power inflater (holding it above your head) as you ascend can make the profile look a lot worse than it really is. This could explain some but probably not all of the "!" flags. Which wrist were you wearing your Zoop on?

@Crush: I don't think the diving community has enough evidence to make as strong a statement as that.

I stand corrected and will edit my post. The two comments that I found about DCI and hydration at DAN's site here http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=14 are:

• Dehydration may also contribute to DCI.
  • It is recommended that divers’ attention be directed to emphasis on the ancillary factors to decompression risk such as: fitness to dive, adequate rest, hydration, body weight, age, and especially rate of ascent — which should not be more than 60 feet / 18 meters per minute.

These comments do not support my assertion, which appears to have been incorrect.

I'd say that second dive was you're biggest problem. Max depth of over 80' with an ascent at the end from 45' to surface in just over a minute and no safety stop.

@jbird71: In Dive #1, there are 6 "!" flags. Dive #2 shows only one "!" flag (likely ascent rate violation). Could you please tell us which "!" flags indicate ascent rate violations and which ones indicate "deco mode"?

Looking at the data none of the flags indicated I was in deco. They were all for ascent. I wear my computer on my left-hand (I'm left handed) which means its prone to movement as I check my pressure gage/fight off man-eating sharks etc.

Back
Top Bottom