Subsurface & Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone getting it to work on a Samsung S7? I've followed the Subsurface directions and Subsurface will not recognize my Perdix AI. Shearwater cloud works fine, but I want my Subsurface....

I got mine to work without any issues (I did use the Nordic NRF app to help bond it as suggested in the beta documentation- note BOND it as opposed to pair - it is another step IIRC).
I did a wipe and recovery on my S5 and everything works fine. First time I tried with Nordic nRF app, after that deleted that app and it just connects.:yeahbaby:
Finally can try GPS tagging!
Edited to add: Not even Shearwater cloud app worked before.

I have an S5 also. I couldn't get it to work with Subsurface mobile. I think I might have gotten it to work the very first time I tried. I can't remember for sure, but it never worked after that, for sure.

I got an OS update from Verizon earlier this week. The release notes said the update included a fix for BTLE. I loaded it and my S5 works fine with Subsurface mobile now.

Meaning : Subsurface mobile worked, but would not download from my Perdix AI and now it does.

I have an S5 also. I couldn't get it to work with Subsurface mobile. I think I might have gotten it to work the very first time I tried. I can't remember for sure, but it never worked after that, for sure.

I got an OS update from Verizon earlier this week. The release notes said the update included a fix for BTLE. I loaded it and my S5 works fine with Subsurface mobile now.

Meaning : Subsurface mobile worked, but would not download from my Perdix AI and now it does.
I don't think it was a faulty OS. My phone did find and paired with non-AI Perdix (which is BLE) in stock BT menu. nRF app would connect and bond every time, it just would not transfer that connection to Subsurface app. I don't think it was Subsurface fault too, just some miscommunication between OS,nRF and Subsurface.
Someone mentioned just clearing cache to fix this, I did a wipe, main thing is that now it works.
One thing I never tried before is to restart my phone, maybe that would be enough (my phone is on 24/7)?
Edited to add: it might have something with Android 6.0.1, none of the devices I tried with that version worked. 6.0 works from the go.

My phone is Android 6.0.1 and it works now.

Question I hear alot about windows Apple IOS Android... anyone get any shearwater POS to connect to unix or linux... because there is no way to get the logs off without bluetooth correct?
according to me the devices are garbage.. if I have to go buy a phone or computer OS to use it...
NOTE I RUN UNIX ONLY no compromises will be made to lower my security or standards... to run OS designed off what I am currently using... UNIX 1968 MS 1977 Apple 1977 Google 1998
These companies did not build it better they made it stupider

Question I hear alot about windows Apple IOS Android... anyone get any shearwater POS to connect to unix or linux... because there is no way to get the logs off without bluetooth correct?
according to me the devices are garbage.. if I have to go buy a phone or computer OS to use it...
NOTE I RUN UNIX ONLY no compromises will be made to lower my security or standards... to run OS designed off what I am currently using... UNIX 1968 MS 1977 Apple 1977 Google 1998
These companies did not build it better they made it stupider
You only need Bluetooth if you want to download the log. The logs are fully viewable on the computer and give you the data for them. But yeah, the small enclave of persons that have no phone or computer capable of Bluetooth communication need to be catered to... ha

I guess @Boarderguy everyone is allowed to be a cynic just because you hate Real Operating systems
helps if you read the whole post...
I know attention spans are shortening

You only need Bluetooth if you want to download the log. The logs are fully viewable on the computer and give you the data for them. But yeah, the small enclave of persons that have no phone or computer capable of Bluetooth communication need to be catered to... ha
So how do you pull the logs with Bluetooth only on Linux and Unix? how did you do it? Mind you cannot INSTALL ANY SHEARWATER APPS to help you perform this task.

So how do you pull the logs with Bluetooth only on Linux and Unix? how did you do it? Mind you cannot INSTALL ANY SHEARWATER APPS to help you perform this task.

Well, when I was running Linux Mint as my daily driver, I used Subsurface and the Bluetooth in my Mint-running laptop to download my Shearwater logs.

I got tired of banging my head against a wall constantly just to accomplish my daily tasks, so I haven't used Mint in a few years, but I assume, being that Linus Torvalds is one of the developers of Subsurface, that it does still work. It is open source, so you are free to clone your own repo and port it to whatever flavor of Unix you want and it probably won't even be that difficult for someone of your OS-expertise.

I'm sorry that newer operating systems have upset you so much that you are reduced to coming here and making rude posts to vent your rage.

If you do invest your time and logging in Subsurface, and then one day down the road, you pull your head out ... of Unix ... you may take advantage of the fact that Subsurface runs on Linux, MacOS, and Windows, so you can copy your log over and continue to the use Subsurface on whatever platform you land on.

Well, when I was running Linux Mint as my daily driver, I used Subsurface and the Bluetooth in my Mint-running laptop to download my Shearwater logs.

I got tired of banging my head against a wall constantly just to accomplish my daily tasks, so I haven't used Mint in a few years, but I assume, being that Linus Torvalds is one of the developers of Subsurface, that it does still work. It is open source, so you are free to clone your own repo and port it to whatever flavor of Unix you want and it probably won't even be that difficult for someone of your OS-expertise.

I'm sorry that newer operating systems have upset you so much that you are reduced to coming here and making rude posts to vent your rage.

If you do invest your time and logging in Subsurface, and then one day down the road, you pull your head out ... of Unix ... you may take advantage of the fact that Subsurface runs on Linux, MacOS, and Windows, so you can copy your log over and continue to the use Subsurface on whatever platform you land on.
The newer OS layouts are Cybersecurity loopholes... I work in Tech just as long as I have been diving... 38+ years..
so no issue pairing the bluetooth to the linux machine ( you did not need toe shearwater applicaitons OR pull the logs from a MS /Apple machine? )
I stopped dealing with Ms in 2009 I started with them in 1980 I stopped dealing with apple in 2012 started dealing with them in 1979... My ties to Unix goes back before my Novel days but gained stride with Sun in 1988 w NFS and NIS.
Today Cellphones I prefer the Watch cell by Tizen running simbian (linux) IOS ANDROID 16 years later it is just a spyware toy meets electronic leash...
The dove computer I am a late adopter got my first computer in October last year most dives I do are on slate and grease pen ( my tech diving plan your dive/dive your plan ) I just would dive my tables and run my runtime

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom