Subsurface 4.3 Beta 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got to playing with this some today. Another thing I noticed is that with any imported data from a csv will not show an average depth. Also for some reason it won't calculate SAC based on gas used over time/depth I would think that it would take your max depth vs. time and calculate an average depth but it does not. Any way I can manually enter an average data since the software isn't calculating it for csv imported dives?
avg.jpg
More legible version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/31t16je9y7ry7u8/avg.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Couple more things (Sorry)

1. Is there any way to modify depth on a csv imported dive aside from deleting it and re-importing w/ correct data?? I forgot to put a duration on one dive so the profile window has no dive profile shown. I know when creating a new dive I can set points in the plan for depth but cannot seem to do that w/ an existing dive.
2. When checking yearly stats all csv imported data is not populating min/max/average temp as well as the previous average depth and any SAC info. All this info is in correct field on each dive in sub surface

Sorry about the size of these images, it keeps resizing them.

Untitled.jpg
More legible version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvwz9h31o0f9oio/Untitled.jpg?dl=0

Showing the average depth does work for me (on Linux). The SAC calculation works for me as well, at least I get a number there. You should be able to give the average depth on the CSV import, on the import GUI it is called mean depth.

There has been some improvements in the CSV import/export during the holidays. There are currently no new daily builds, but it shouldn't be a problem for Dirk to start a new build. Currently there are the following fields supported:
"dive number","date","time","duration","maxdepth","avgdepth","airtemp","watertemp","cylinder size","startpressure","endpressure","o2","he","location","gps","divemaster","buddy","suit","rating","visibility","notes","weight","tags"

These are available in a so called "native" CSV import and export, so they are not configurable. So if you want to take advantage of the extra fields, you will have to provide all these fields in this order for the import. Or, just export your current log, do some edits and import with preconfigured SubsurfaceCSV import.

I don't think it is currently possible to edit the dive profile after import, unless you edit the XML log file directly. Anyway, the additional fields in the CSV and preconfiguring the Subsurface CSV import should make re-importing the dives somewhat easier.

I think the missing information in the statistics window is due to missing average depth.

Probably, I figured the software would calculate average depth but I guess not? I cannot go back in and redo all of this unfortunately. So at this point my only option is to edit the xml and add an average depth that way? I assume I can probably add that one data point I forgot this way also.

thanks

Dave

Calculating sensible average depth based on max depth and duration is quite impossible. It would never be correct as we do not know e.g. the real length of safety/deco stop and ascend/descent speeds.

Sure you can edit the XML file directly. It was designed to be human readable, and thus editable as well. Here is an example of depth info with average depth included:
<depth max='20.117 m' mean='12.141 m' />

Yeah I did play w/ the XML file earlier and was able to get an average depth and SAC but it really messed w/ the dive plan graph. I didn't need this for more than just a way to sort of keep track of my SAC on older dives that I had logged and note progression over time. The average depth would be just a guess as you said and it probably isn't even worth messing with as that data would be fairly useless since Its based on a guestimate average depth.

Dave

I would love for some kind soul to put together a SubSurface (any version) package that could be installed on a machine running PCLinuxOS. If that's not possible - does anyone know of a program that can download from a Mares Icon and will run on that platform?
So I still haven't managed to create a package, but I think I have things documented and automated enough now that it should be fairly easy for you to build and install yourself.
Drop me a note if you are still interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom