Subsurface 4.3 Beta 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirkhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
[h=1]Subsurface 4.3 Beta 1[/h]We are happy to announce the first beta for Subsurface 4.3. This is still early and we expect some possible problems, but it should give you a good idea of what’s coming in 4.3 (and hopefully allow many to test and provide feedback).[/FONT]
Binaries are on the server for 64 bit Windows and 32 bit Windows. I’ll post another note when Mac binaries are ready.
Bug reports and other feedback should ideally go into our request tracker.
Quick summary of the highlights:

• Multi filter: filter the dive list by many criteria including tags, people who were on the dive, location, suit, etc
  • Cut and paste support when editing dives: copy selected components of a dive and paste them into one or more other dives. This makes it easy to add the same equipment, buddies, tags or other aspects of a dive into others
  • Tissue saturation visualization
  • Configuration of the OSTC 2 and 3 as well as the Suunto Vyper family of dive computers
  • Support for extra data that can be downloaded from some dive
    computers, including information like battery levels, no fly times,
    Gradient Factors used during the dive, etc (only as supported by the
    dive computer, at the time of this writing this requires a custom
    version of libdivecomputer oder a Uemis Zurich SDA)
  • Better visualization of the gases used during a dive (“tank bar”)
  • Ability to re-plan dives
  • Support for several new dive computers including the Suunto EON Steel, Aeris A300 CD, Aeris F11 (Suunto EON Steel support is included with the Windows binaries but requires a patched version of libdivecomputer when building from source -- we expect the necessary patches to be upstream, soon)
  • Import dive logs from Liquivision and Cochran software
  • Import dive logs from the Poseidon Mk6 CCR
  • Import dive logs from Suunto DM5
  • Many improvements for UDDF and CSV import
  • Many improvements to HTML export
  • Many small improvements to the planner
  • Many small UI changes for better use on small displays (tighter columns and column headers on the dive list, the toolbox of icons no longer forces a minimum height of the profile, etc)
  • Improvements on HiDPI displays
  • Fix annoying bug where when starting to edit a dive the pop-up with completions would cover the edit line (this usually happened when editing tags)
  • Declutter profile for dive computers that send a heading event in every sample
  • on Windows, prevent installation of 64bit binaries on 32bit OS and warn when installing 32bit binaries on 64bit OS
  • support multiple tanks when syncing with divelogs.de
  • Experimental CCR and PSCR suppor

---------- Post added November 17th, 2014 at 04:59 PM ----------

And now the Mac DMG is ready for download as well.

I would love for some kind soul to put together a SubSurface (any version) package that could be installed on a machine running PCLinuxOS. If that's not possible - does anyone know of a program that can download from a Mares Icon and will run on that platform?

What packaging scheme does PCLinuxOS use?

What packaging scheme does PCLinuxOS use?

I'm really sorry. I've not a clue what that even means. I'm a total novice at Linux. Used to be a programmer/analyst but never on Linux or the languages it uses. Totally unknown territory to me.

No problem. How do you install software that you want currently? I'm reading pclinuxos uses aptitude; have you used that?

Not sure if this is the place to ask but I have a couple question. Running a 3rd party cable (customidea.com) and a suunto viper. When downloading it shows a surface temp and also a water temp. Few questions/oddities

1. The water temp is always flat lined, never changes entire duration of dive.
2. The water temp usually shows up well into a dive on the graph (I've confirmed water temp at initiation of most dives)
3. It shows a surface air temp but I have no idea where it is getting it from as I never see that same temp logged anywhere

Two feature questions:

1. Is there a way to make some type of image that could display what the watch would show as an image rather than the box with all the data (Similar to DM3-DM5)?
2. Is there a way to re-play the dive (similar to DM3-DM5)?

Thanks much!!

This is what I'm seeing
ss.jpg

Not sure if this is the place to ask but I have a couple question. Running a 3rd party cable (customidea.com) and a suunto viper. When downloading it shows a surface temp and also a water temp. Few questions/oddities

1. The water temp is always flat lined, never changes entire duration of dive.
2. The water temp usually shows up well into a dive on the graph (I've confirmed water temp at initiation of most dives)
3. It shows a surface air temp but I have no idea where it is getting it from as I never see that same temp logged anywhere

Many Suunto computers give only two temperatures. One right at the start of the dive. In many cases this is a good approximation for air temperature, but people have complained about this being wrong in the past - while others find it to usually be spot on. I guess if you jump of a boat and start your dive, it works pretty well. If you spend time on the surface before starting the dive, it's much more the surface water temperature.

The second value is associated with the deepest point in your profile. Arguably drawing a horizontal line from there is misleading. Maybe we should change that.

Two feature questions:

1. Is there a way to make some type of image that could display what the watch would show as an image rather than the box with all the data (Similar to DM3-DM5)?
2. Is there a way to re-play the dive (similar to DM3-DM5)?

That is the one thing that the vendor apps are sometimes reasonably good at and at the same time something that we are completely disinterested in doing. The amount of work involved would be incredible - we support dozens and dozens of different dive computers from different vendors - acquiring the graphics (and the rights to use them), implementing the "replay", etc, for each version... insane. And then, frankly... what's the value of that? I personally find the data that we show far more interesting that what you would get from replaying the dive on the watch face.

But the short answer is "no, we won't support that".

Dirk, thanks for the quick reply. For the sake of argument I exported an xml file of that dive in the screenshot and it does show the temp displaying right at that time shown on the graph (24:20) for two samples (40 total seconds) then no temp until last frame of dive. So does that just mean subsurface is only taking those values from my computer or is something weird about my watch not actually logging the temp in memory? I'm sure temp is recorded my entire dive so I know that part works. Oddly, on this same dive it shows surface temp in subsurface at 80.6 (27C) but I see nothing on any sample time line showing that temp so I have no idea where it is pulling that data from.

I understand the lack of animation and I can do without it. Wish I was better at programming, I'd take a stab at it.

Dave

Dirk, thanks for the quick reply. For the sake of argument I exported an xml file of that dive in the screenshot and it does show the temp displaying right at that time shown on the graph (24:20) for two samples (40 total seconds) then no temp until last frame of dive. So does that just mean subsurface is only taking those values from my computer or is something weird about my watch not actually logging the temp in memory? I'm sure temp is recorded my entire dive so I know that part works. Oddly, on this same dive it shows surface temp in subsurface at 80.6 (27C) but I see nothing on any sample time line showing that temp so I have no idea where it is pulling that data from.
The Vyper may be SHOWING temperatures throughout the dive, but to the best of our knowledge it does NOT RECORD the temperatures throughout the dive. Does DM4 show you a detailed temperature graph?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom