Subsurface 4.3 Beta 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at DM5 it just displays a "max depth temp" and it does seem to correspond to the max depth in any given dive in Subsurface. So that appears to be when the line starts in Subsurface, makes sense at least at least as the deeper you go the cooler it generally gets. So that mystery is solved. Can you tell me if there is any easy way for me to enter my dive info pre dive computer? I looked into creating a csv but the issue I have is that I do not have a graph of depth vs. time. I just want to document the location, depth, time, air pressures without any type of dive profile and having to enter 200 lines of fictitious depths. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Dave

Can you tell me if there is any easy way for me to enter my dive info pre dive computer? I looked into creating a csv but the issue I have is that I do not have a graph of depth vs. time. I just want to document the location, depth, time, air pressures without any type of dive profile and having to enter 200 lines of fictitious depths. Is there a way to do this?
Yes, this will actually documented in the user manual of the upcoming Subsurface 4.3. You simply create a CSV with the data that you have and Subsurface will make the best of it. If you have max depth and avg depth per dive, great. If you have only max depth, that's ok, too. Etc.

That would be great for divers like myself who have logs on paper but few on computer anymore. I just checked and their is a new version so maybe this is what you were referring to. Thanks for all the hard work on this!!

I did play w/ it but I must be doing something wrong. I went into the documentation for this and see where it says to change the regional list separator to tab which I did. I then saved a test csv w/ basic info (Just time/date) to eliminate any variable but still having no luck. Tried w/ and w/o a description row at the top of each column and I still get a failed to parse error. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

EDIT:
I did get it working but perhaps because I use win8 and office 2013 this is different. I did confirm formatting did change in notepad when changing regional list separator but Subsurface just didn't like the tab separated values.

What I did and didn't do:
1. Did not change regional setting to TAB from , (Using TAB generated above error)
2. Saved file as a CSV still
3. When importing went to manual dives and used , for field separator instead of tab.

One question. Any way to create a column/field for air/water temp and start/end pressures?
One potential bug: All dives that are added via .csv show GPS coordinates even w/o importing said column. The first # coincides w/ the dive # 4°00'00.000"N 0°00'00.000"E (Dive 4). A workaround is to add a GPS column w/ the value of 0 for each dive so no biggie for me.
Dave

Last edited:
I went into the documentation for this and see where it says to change the regional list separator to tab which I did. I then saved a test csv w/ basic info (Just time/date) to eliminate any variable but still having no luck. Tried w/ and w/o a description row at the top of each column and I still get a failed to parse error. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

EDIT:
I did get it working but perhaps because I use win8 and office 2013 this is different. I did confirm formatting did change in notepad when changing regional list separator but Subsurface just didn't like the tab separated values.
Would you do me a favor? Would you go to trac.subsurface-divelog.org and file a bug and most importantly attach your .csv files to that bug so we can figure out what you feed in and in return hopefully can figure out how to parse things correctly? The developers are by and large not Windows people, so while this has been tested with Excel and under Windows, we may not have tested the exact combination of locale and settings that you used.
One question. Any way to create a column/field for air/water temp and start/end pressures?
That should be possible. It's obviously not there in 4.3 but I think this wouldn't be too hard to do.
One potential bug: All dives that are added via .csv show GPS coordinates even w/o importing said column. The first # coincides w/ the dive # 4°00'00.000"N 0°00'00.000"E (Dive 4). A workaround is to add a GPS column w/ the value of 0 for each dive so no biggie for me.
That does indeed seem like a bug. I haven't seen this in my tests, so again your sample input files would be a great help.

Will do dDrk. First let me completely populate this csv with my data. I suppose I can wait to import my data until there is an option for start/end pressure and surface/water temp. Really hate to manually click each dive and enter that stuff in.

Dave

I did play w/ it but I must be doing something wrong. I went into the documentation for this and see where it says to change the regional list separator to tab which I did. I then saved a test csv w/ basic info (Just time/date) to eliminate any variable but still having no luck. Tried w/ and w/o a description row at the top of each column and I still get a failed to parse error. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Jep, this one is something that would require a sample file to really understand what is going on. (Tab as a separator works just fine for me...)

I implemented this. I also added cylinder size and O2 and He percentages while at it.

Dave

This one is now fixed as well. Of course, it will take some time before the new code lands on a release. However, we should have them in a "daily build" in a few days if you want to take it for a test.

TheBro, how did you implement the air/water temp and start/end pressures? Or is this also something I wait for until another release? I'll definitely play w/ a daily build.

Dave

TT_Vert which OS? I can kick off a daily build this evening...

Win8 64 bit. . one quick question if I were to add data to an already existing dive could just add that data column to the dive number rather than creating a whole new dive? for example let's say I have 30 dives in a spreadsheet and they have a corresponding dive number in the column but they are already in subsurface, could I just append the new columns utilizing the dive number column for reference of the existing dives in subsurface?

No. We do not attempt to do such merges, yet. I think you'd have to export what you have as CSV and then add to it, but I'm not sure how well that would work - I never tested it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom