Subsurface 4.2 -- free (open source) dive log program for Windows, Mac, and Linux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Running Windows XP. Downloaded and installed but won't run. Get an error that it's not a valid program

Running Windows XP. Downloaded and installed but won't run. Get an error that it's not a valid program
This could have a number of causes.

First guess: are you on a 32 bit version of XP (most people who still are on XP have a 32 bit version... XP64 didn't get a lot of traction because tons of drivers were missing)? If yes, did you download the default Windows installer (that's 64bit; won't work) or the 32 bit version?
Alternatively this could be caused by a corrupted download. If you have matching 32bit (or 64 bit) binaries can you send me the file length?

First guess: are you on a 32 bit version of XP (most people who still are on XP have a 32 bit version...

Yep, that was it. Thanks. The download seems functional for start up. Will have to try downloading from the computers.

Suunto Vytec w/Windows 7 - Windows 7, Service Pack 1

So I just posted about how Suunto's DM3 was forced "upgraded" to DM4 which worked worse and then last night was forced "upgraded" to DM5 which stopped working completely and forcing me to take 5 hours to "Restore" back to DM4 and then not turning on the internet because it would do another forced "upgrade" to DM5. After hours on the phone and internet to Suunto about dm3 to dm4, with no help - I'm not going to ask them for help.

So I heard about your Subsurface !!!!! :)

I just downloaded it and was ready to give it a try and :

BOX MESSAGE w/Red Circle and X -
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Oh well, I guess I just take a nap and forget about this and just limp along with DM4 with the internet off !!!!!!!

Can you help me?

OH - I have 32-Bit. So I reloaded the 32-Bit version and I will see what happens. I hope you've cleaned up some of the bugs you mentioned on this 32-bit version. But it's free and I'll let you know what happens. I'll wait until later to say thank you. :)

Of course. The next version will have a munch easier to understand message. It looks like you are trying to install the 64 bit version on a 32 bit OS. Please download the 32 bit binary

Suunto Vytec w/Windows 7 - Windows 7, Service Pack 1

So I just posted about how Suunto's DM3 was forced "upgraded" to DM4 which worked worse and then last night was forced "upgraded" to DM5 which stopped working completely and forcing me to take 5 hours to "Restore" back to DM4 and then not turning on the internet because it would do another forced "upgrade" to DM5. After hours on the phone and internet to Suunto about dm3 to dm4, with no help - I'm not going to ask them for help.

So I heard about your Subsurface !!!!! :)

I just downloaded it and was ready to give it a try and :

BOX MESSAGE w/Red Circle and X -
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Oh well, I guess I just take a nap and forget about this and just limp along with DM4 with the internet off !!!!!!!

Can you help me?

OH - I have 32-Bit. So I reloaded the 32-Bit version and I will see what happens. I hope you've cleaned up some of the bugs you mentioned on this 32-bit version. But it's free and I'll let you know what happens. I'll wait until later to say thank you. :)

THANK YOU !!!! It worked great with the 32-Bit Version and I now have usable Dive Software with Subsurface!!!

---------- Post added November 9th, 2014 at 08:45 PM ----------

Dear Subsurface, RE: Question from a new user

I didn't know where the right place to post this question. Please tell me for the future and I will post it there. But here it is ....

I just downloaded the 32-bit version for my Windows 7 laptop. I read the manual and followed the very intuitive instructions and downloaded all my dives from my Suunto VYTEC. I love it !!! The first thing that I did is correct the dates on some dives I did in Thailand and some other places. Of course I change the date/time on my dive computer when I travel out of my time zone, but I had accidentally put in 2015 instead of 2014. This always bothered me - calling Suunto got me the answer that there was nothing that I could do???? But within 10 minutes of loading your software I had corrected a number of dates (battery changes etc - 2025 - LOL). Thank you !!!!!!

Now for my question.
I dive with 2 computers and use both of their software (actually I think I'm done with Suunto's).
The other dive computer is a Oceanic Veo 250. I do not want to mix the 2 dive computers' data together.

So how do I make another logbook in Subsurface?
#1 (Presently) William.xml
#2 (I want) WmVeo250.xml

How do I download Oceanic's Data?
I found Oceanic's divelog file in "Program Files,Oceanic,Oceanlog2.x, Data"
They are all ".dat" files

So I want to make a second Subsurface divelog file for my Oceanic Veo250 and then I want to import the files from their "Oceanlog 2.x" software.

You User Manual seems to say this is possible in the intro (different computer brands...), but then does not tell us how to do this.

Thank you,
drdaddy

We have a user forum at subsurface-divelog.org
That's usually the best place to get help.
To your question... I always dive with multiple computers (often 5 or more... Occupational hazard). And the way Subsurface handles that is something we are rather proud of. The data do not get mixed up, you see them as separate profile in the same dive.
It's hard to explain, especially typing on the phone :)
Give it a try.
Otherwise you can simply close the first logbook (ctrl-w) download from the second computer and save-as to a different logbook. And then switch between them from the shortlist in the fill me menu...

You User Manual seems to say this is possible in the intro (different computer brands...), but then does not tell us how to do this.
menu File -> New

easy, isn't it ?

We have a user forum at subsurface-divelog.org
That's usually the best place to get help.
To your question... I always dive with multiple computers (often 5 or more... Occupational hazard). And the way Subsurface handles that is something we are rather proud of. The data do not get mixed up, you see them as separate profile in the same dive.
It's hard to explain, especially typing on the phone :)
Give it a try.
Otherwise you can simply close the first logbook (ctrl-w) download from the second computer and save-as to a different logbook. And then switch between them from the shortlist in the fill me menu...

Thank you,
I was concerned because I could not name a different logbook. I guess it lets me name a new logbook when I download the data from the new computer. I'll try it tonight.

But, the main question is how to load the data from Oceanic's divelog program. Please tell me how to do this. I know it must be easy. Thank you.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2014 at 07:55 AM ----------

menu File -> New

easy, isn't it ?

It is looks easy - and it probably is. But if you are new to a program and just got messed up by other programs (Suunto's) - I was a bit wary to just download a bunch of dives into a program that I just got working. But I did go ahead and try just what you said and could not figure out how to download Oceanic's file from their logbook program. I tried and tried - and then went to bed. So - I believe you when you say it is easy - once you know how to do it. You sound like my best friend who's a senior engineer with HP !!! EASY !!! :)

So please tell me how to download Oceanic's logbook to your Subsurface program. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom