Subsurface 4.2 -- free (open source) dive log program for Windows, Mac, and Linux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any way to get this in PCLinuxOS? I am a total Linux novice and would need very dumbed down instructions but I would love to get this program on my Acer (running PCLinuxOS) for travel.

Is there any way to get this in PCLinuxOS? I am a total Linux novice and would need very dumbed down instructions but I would love to get this program on my Acer (running PCLinuxOS) for travel.

What version of PCLinuxOS are you running?

Linux is painful as a target for us - which is ironic given who the key developers are... but it really is a pain to create applications for Linux - unless the users are willing to compile them themselves. And Subsurface by now is so complicated and has so many dependencies that that's non-trivial for a novice. So I'm not sure what to suggest to you.
I'm not familiar with PCLinuxOS, but it should be possible for someone to build a package for you... have you checked if it's in their repositories?

Any plans on adding the new Aeris A300 CS to Subsurface? And if so, when?
The A300 and A300AI are supported. Have you tested the A300 CS? Does it not work? Can you file a bug at Subsurface so we can maybe get a memory dump to figure out how to support it?

I have just downloaded 4.2 for the first time but cannot get my Suunto Zoop or Vyper to connect. It just doesn't show the USB option in the drop down menu when trying to connect. I assume I need a USB driver but does anyone know which one?
They connect to the SuuntoDM4 software OK.
Running Mac 10.9 & 10.8

Linux is painful as a target for us - which is ironic given who the key developers are... but it really is a pain to create applications for Linux - unless the users are willing to compile them themselves. And Subsurface by now is so complicated and has so many dependencies that that's non-trivial for a novice. So I'm not sure what to suggest to you.
I'm not familiar with PCLinuxOS, but it should be possible for someone to build a package for you... have you checked if it's in their repositories?

Looks like I'm out of luck. It's not in the repositories. Though I was a programmer/analyst for nearly 40 years (5 languages and 10 operating systems) I'm retired and not up to mastering another OS. Don't know any Linux/Unix jockies so ... too bad, so sad. Thanks for the input.

I have just downloaded 4.2 for the first time but cannot get my Suunto Zoop or Vyper to connect. It just doesn't show the USB option in the drop down menu when trying to connect. I assume I need a USB driver but does anyone know which one?
They connect to the SuuntoDM4 software OK.
Running Mac 10.9 & 10.8

SuuntoDM4 on Mac? Didn't realize they support Mac OS.

Anyway, yes, you need a driver for the download cable to be recognized. But if you have this working with the Suunto software my guess is that the drivers are installed.

One common problem is that people open the download dialog and THEN plug in the dive computer. In that case the device shows up too late for us to see it.

Can you make sure that the Suunto is plugged in and ready to transmit before you open the download dialog?

Yes it's in PC mode before I go to import. Have also tried in in PC mode before I launch the software & rebooted with it in PC mode but I only get bluetooth options in the drop down.
If I look at what's connected to the USB port in System Profiler is says Suunto Sport's Instrument.
Also tried it on another mac with the same results.

Yes it's in PC mode before I go to import. Have also tried in in PC mode before I launch the software & rebooted with it in PC mode but I only get bluetooth options in the drop down.
If I look at what's connected to the USB port in System Profiler is says Suunto Sport's Instrument.
Also tried it on another mac with the same results.
So for some reason we aren't finding the right tty
Could you run
Code:
ls /dev/tty*
after you plugged in the dive computer and switched it to PC mode?
Also, it's possible that something went wrong with the driver. Assuming you have the official Suunto cable, would you mind downloading their latest diver here (the Suunto cable includes an FTDI chip) and reinstall it?
Once you do that, does Subsurface find the dive computer? What does the command I indicated above show?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom