Submarine hits underwater mountain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I have crossed the line, perhaps you could start a new thread, on such subjects.
or lead me to the earlier post.

DrQuest:
Intercept, is that a new form of possibly being in denial?
!

U have to be in egypt to be in denial:eyebrow:

lighten up.......follow andy's advice.

jphdiver:
Strange stuff does happen out there though. On a shake down cruise after a time in the shipyard at Mare Island, my submarine "hit" something that stove in a part of the outer hull. The story given to the press was that we probably hit a tree trunk or a shipping container. Back in drydock whatever we hit managed to put a crack in the outer hull dead amidships and about 5 feet below the waterline.

Tree trunk indeed. :no

were u on that sub that breached and hit a japanese ship years ago?:rofl3:

PS, drquest is worse than me...sheez

Oh what the hell, I guess I'm supposed to respond.....
How the hell do I make a referrence to a great big fart on my keyboard?
Not sure your impliance.

I, too, wonder why the thread was started now, long after the accident, but Jh gave us a link to a very interesting coverage. Anyone else read all of it...??
jhbryaniv:
We are very fortunate that we didn't lose a whole sub full of sailors and officers, but one was killed, several injured severely, and can you imagine the emotional trauma of being that deep when the collision occurred? I doubt that any one them thot they'd see daylight again at the time...

thats what they get the bonus pay for :)

Hey Don I heard you guys had a bit of rough weather this past weekend. . . I think they called it a land spout or something. . .

Am sorry for my meanderings!

DandyDon:
I, too, wonder why the thread was started now, long after the accident, but Jh gave us a link to a very interesting coverage. Anyone else read all of it...??

We are very fortunate that we didn't lose a whole sub full of sailors and officers, but one was killed, several injured severely, and can you imagine the emotional trauma of being that deep when the collision occurred? I doubt that any one them thot they'd see daylight again at the time...

That article is very interesting. It provides a lot of information that's normally kept in secrecy. Anyway, the fact that there were smaller scale charts available indicates that the ship was operating fairly close to land which raises a red flag in my books especially at the speed they were going. Smaller scale charts have more detail so they would have more chances to indicate topographical anomalies if any. That's the first thing that went wrong when you follow the article. The second thing that went wrong was the erroneous sounding information (Fathometer) the Quartermaster of the Watch was receiving. That should have raised another red flag! The measured depth you get should correlate with where you are on the chart if it didn't match it's time to wake up a bunch of people and let them know what's going on which wasn't done. The third problem was the path that was provided to the navigation team by their superior command. They should have noticed the possible hazard as the ship's track grew closer to land. Ultimatly it's the responsibility of the Navigation team and the Commanding Officer to plan the ship's voyage to safety.

This is what I can tell from the article Don posted. Alot of errors were made and unfortunately the crew paid dearly for it. I talked to a few crew members, and they told me that they were already on the surface when the initial shock wore off. The aftermath was very ugly, and the trip back was the hardest thing to deal with for them. If the ship hadn't deflected upward after the impact, I doubt that the crew be alive today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom