Subgravity vs Deep6 vs Halcyon vs DR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iratherbediving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Have narrowed down getting my next BC system from one of these manufacturers:
Halcyon (worth the extra $?)
Deep6, wings seem well built but dont know much either
Subgravity, dont know much about it
Dive Rite, only brand I have been able to see first hand, not crazy about the quality but still considering since I like their SS lite plate

Not considering Oxycheq based on reports of bad customer service. DSS dont seem to be coming back on business any time soon

Will probably get a hardness and plate from the same company... but may stay with the DR SS lite

Unfortunately, I dont have the opportunity to check out any of this gear first hand. No local dealers, so any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Looking for recommendations, pros/cons, based on the following:
- Durability
- Customer Service
- Availability of parts/ease of repair

parts and ease of repair is similar. they all have standard size fittings iirc, so you can just buy generics from DGX.

customer service shouldn't be an issue (except for maybe subgravity) since you are buying online, you have your pick of good online dealers.

dive rite wings last a long time. i've seen some old dive rite wings that have gone from black to suede brown after over a decade of use and still kicking

Dive Rite. Gear is great and customer service seems to be excellent.

I started doubles this year with a 10 year old DR wing that was still very serviceable.

Halcyon, great gear, expensive, tough, but not as adjustable (I prefer Deep 6 for single tank - most adjustable or Xdeep for twinsets - more adjustable).
Deep 6: I've standardized on this for teaching open water. I find it well made. Let me get back to you after a couple of years teaching open water with students abusing them.
Subgravity. An instructor I know has standardized on these for his ow classes and is really happy for them. I'm interested in the harnesses long term for open water instruction to accommodate those with shoulder mobility issues.

Can't speak about DR.

Assuming single tank wing, you can’t go wrong with any of those. Additionally, you can add VDH, and shouldn’t disregard Oxycheq. Their 18lb Mach V wing is my single tank wing of choice. However, I would probably go with VDH if I didn’t already have my Oxycheq. I know nothing about their customer service because I haven’t been able to damage the thing in 8 years worth of travel diving all over the world.

Personally I find all of Dive Rite’s stuff to be a little lacking compared to others. Doesn’t mean they suck, just that everything they make is made by someone else a little bit better, a little bit higher quality, a little bit more thoughtful design, etc. They’d be my last choice on your list.

Halcyon is great but $$$$. Part of that is the warranty though. They’re really good about dealing with any issues you might have.

Deep6 sources quality stuff and the owner and several of the employees post here regularly.

VDH posts here as well, and they also source quality stuff.

I only have experience with SubGravity regarding the rebreather products they deal. However, I’ve never had a problem with anything I’ve received from them, and they’re super responsive if you need to contact them for any reason.

For some local perspective, my two Oxycheq and three Halcyon wings as well as SubGravity BMCL’s have no problem standing up to any local diving, even the zebra mussels at Pleasant haven’t had any effect on any of them.

Great inputs. Including some local perspective! Thank you

I think I have it down to VDH, Oxycheq, Subgravity, and Halcyon... in that order. Will come down to pricing, availability, etc. tempted to wait until black friday to see if any good deals come up.

Will post back when I finally get the gear

JohnnyC hit the nail on the head:
JohnnyC:
Assuming single tank wing, you can’t go wrong with any of those.
I have multiple Halcyon, Apeks, and Dive Rite wings, along with a Zeagle and several others. My all-time personal favorite single cylinder wing is my Halcyon Eclipse 30lb wing. I really like Halcyon gear - it is functional, durable, and their service (in the very uncommon situation where I have a problem) has always been superb. (But, admittedly, I have had the advantage of buying it at shop staff discount prices, so acquisition cost has never been an issue for me.)

I have contemplated the idea of trying an Oxycheq Mach V - some people who I dive with, who own a Mach V, are VERY positive about their Mach V's. Yes, Oxycheq has a conspicuously bad customer service reputation, but the product is apparently quite good. (I have an Oxycheq doubles wing, which is quite well-made. and is my favorite wing for a set of double 80s.)

I have no first-hand experience, yet, with Deep 6 equipment. But, I hear good things.

The bottom line - there isn't really an objective basis for saying that one of the brands you have identified is clearly superior to the others. You won't go wrong with any of them. Flip a coin. Go for lowest price. Go for brand name. In the end, you will (probably) be quite happy with any of these brands.

You don't have to deal with oxycheq if you buy it from cave adventurers.

Halcyon isn't bad but for single tank, the oxycheq style with narrow profile is better. And until recently, the halcyon required use of a sta. There a reason the vdh, newer apeks, newer mares, and new dgx wing all copy the oxycheq.

Great inputs. Including some local perspective! Thank you

I think I have it down to VDH, Oxycheq, Subgravity, and Halcyon... in that order. Will come down to pricing, availability, etc. tempted to wait until black friday to see if any good deals come up.

Will post back when I finally get the gear

Most of those won't likely be doing any BF special. Deep 6 and hog generally do.

Back
Top Bottom