Subgravity vs Deep6 vs Halcyon vs DR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for deep 6. The price really can’t be beat by anyone else unless you got down to the dgx set. Deep 6 has a strong following on SB along with constant contact and feedback from everyone involved with the company. I don’t think you’ll find better customer service.

JohnnyC hit the nail on the head: I have multiple Halcyon, Apeks, and Dive Rite wings, along with a Zeagle and several others. My all-time personal favorite single cylinder wing is my Halcyon Eclipse 30lb wing. I really like Halcyon gear - it is functional, durable, and their service (in the very uncommon situation where I have a problem) has always been superb. (But, admittedly, I have had the advantage of buying it at shop staff discount prices, so acquisition cost has never been an issue for me.)

I have contemplated the idea of trying an Oxycheq Mach V - some people who I dive with, who own a Mach V, are VERY positive about their Mach V's. Yes, Oxycheq has a conspicuously bad customer service reputation, but the product is apparently quite good. (I have an Oxycheq doubles wing, which is quite well-made. and is my favorite wing for a set of double 80s.)

I have no first-hand experience, yet, with Deep 6 equipment. But, I hear good things.

The bottom line - there isn't really an objective basis for saying that one of the brands you have identified is clearly superior to the others. You won't go wrong with any of them. Flip a coin. Go for lowest price. Go for brand name. In the end, you will (probably) be quite happy with any of these brands.

Thanks for sharing your experience... and very good point in bottom line note

You don't have to deal with oxycheq if you buy it from cave adventurers.

Halcyon isn't bad but for single tank, the oxycheq style with narrow profile is better. And until recently, the halcyon required use of a sta. There a reason the vdh, newer apeks, newer mares, and new dgx wing all copy the oxycheq.
good point... did come across the cave adventurers site but havent contacted them yet

For single tank, I really like VDH. I have their 18 and 35s.

But, if you want a wing in the 30 - 35# range, I cannot make an argument that the VDH is worth the extra money compared to the (relatively new) DGX single tank wing.

DGX Singles Wing - 30lb lift | Dive Gear Express®

Also, I have the same BP that VDH sells. I like the DGX SS BP better, because it's more flat - which is nice for single tank use.

Their package is hard to beat at $359 with a SS BP.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

That said, nobody sells a package that has a harness I would use. I would just buy a BP, a wing, and the webbing and pieces-parts for a harness. Otherwise, I just end up replacing almost every part of a pre-packaged harness with pieces-parts I like better anyway.

Also, a number of the vendors being discussed have really great customer service. But, I don't know of anyone that has BETTER customer service than Dive Gear Express. And, I don't know of any other vendor that has a Return Policy as good as DGX's. DGX Return Policy is lifetime satisfaction guarantee. You buy anything from them and you can return it 10 years later, thoroughly used, for a full credit, if you are not happy with it.

I would say that if you stiff like them that once or twice, they're probably going to black list you from future purchases. But, for example, if you bought their BP/W package and had a legit problem with it after a year or two, they are going to take care of you. Buying from them is basically zero risk.

I have been using the SubGravity Paragon package with no real complaints. The quality has been good. It costs a bit more than some other options.
Paragon Single Tank Package - Subgravity

The backplate cover near your back in theory has a built in SMB pocket, but I have not found a good way to use/access it.
Has anyone else?

The integrated weight pocket accessory is also nice. They are secure and I do not worry about the weights coming out by mistake. Paragon Weight System - Subgravity

For single tank, I really like VDH. I have their 18 and 35s.

But, if you want a wing in the 30 - 35# range, I cannot make an argument that the VDH is worth the extra money compared to the (relatively new) DGX single tank wing.

DGX Singles Wing - 30lb lift | Dive Gear Express®

Also, I have the same BP that VDH sells. I like the DGX SS BP better, because it's more flat - which is nice for single tank use.

Their package is hard to beat at $359 with a SS BP.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

That said, nobody sells a package that has a harness I would use. I would just buy a BP, a wing, and the webbing and pieces-parts for a harness. Otherwise, I just end up replacing almost every part of a pre-packaged harness with pieces-parts I like better anyway.

Also, a number of the vendors being discussed have really great customer service. But, I don't know of anyone that has BETTER customer service than Dive Gear Express. And, I don't know of any other vendor that has a Return Policy as good as DGX's. DGX Return Policy is lifetime satisfaction guarantee. You buy anything from them and you can return it 10 years later, thoroughly used, for a full credit, if you are not happy with it.

I would say that if you stiff like them that once or twice, they're probably going to black list you from future purchases. But, for example, if you bought their BP/W package and had a legit problem with it after a year or two, they are going to take care of you. Buying from them is basically zero risk.

thanks for you insight. Will take a closer look at DGX, their 30lb does look as nice as others at a price that is hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom