Sub-Gravity AquaProp; The Little DPV that could

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a bud dive it with double 100’s and two 40’s. With that big of a kit was very underwhelming. He dropped his 40’s and still was underwhelmed. However if you consider the specific advantages this model has in terms of weight price and travel ability, it may be worth it for you. Just have to evaluate what your are specifically buying it for.

I see someone comparing it somewhat closely with a seadoo explorer. Is this thing really similar to the seadoo explorer or is it a real dpv?

It is a real DPV. The Seadoo scooters are not even in the same category.

However if you consider the specific advantages this model has in terms of weight price and travel ability, it may be worth it for you. Just have to evaluate what your are specifically buying it for.

Everyone I know would use it for single AL80 dives. Most of the people I know use Sea Doos... but most of them have some kind of issues with them (battery life, flooding, etc.).

Anyone know what dealer price is on these?

I've seen it In person quite a few times, not personally dove it. It looks well made. Most the folks I've spoke with who really liked it have little or no experience with full sized scooters. Those with experience mostly said it's underpowered for most tech diving, fine for most recreational diving

The Aquaprop has 31 pounds of thrust. That compares to 55 pounds for a Silent Submerge Minus, 63 pounds for a DiveXtras P1 and 61 pounds for an Ecos.

The Aquaprop will perform accordingly, so that limits it to single tank diving and comparatively slow speeds in the 100-125 fpm range, when a technical diving scooter needs to be able to cruise at 150 fpm with a diver in doubles and be capable of speeds in the 200 fpm range at maximum power.

The advantage of the Aquaprop is a comparatively low price point at $2,600, but for $3900 you can get a P1 with technical scooter performance and a weight of only 24 pounds. It's 50% more price wise, but offers twice the performance and only 10 pounds more weight at the surface, and is airline legal.

I just came across the Aquaprop, sorry I missed out on all this about a year ago. I have been looking for a lighter DPV alternative for free diving that also not too difficult to transport by commercial airline. I have been using an Apollo sit on top for over ten years but it is a pain to fly commercial (65 lbs.+ with two batteries, charger, etc.). Are there any new impressions about this Aquaprop for or against or about other newer lightweight, higher thrust and efficient (not Seadoo's, ) DPV's out there. I have been looking into the Scubajet as well. Thank you!

The aqua prop is the way to go for what you are describing. I'm not just saying that as a dealer, there is no other DPV in the 15lb range that comes close.

I just came across the Aquaprop, sorry I missed out on all this about a year ago. I have been looking for a lighter DPV alternative for free diving that also not too difficult to transport by commercial airline. I have been using an Apollo sit on top for over ten years but it is a pain to fly commercial (65 lbs.+ with two batteries, charger, etc.). Are there any new impressions about this Aquaprop for or against o I(r about other newer lightweight, higher thrust and efficient (not Seadoo's, ) DPV's out there. I have been looking into the Scubajet as well. Thank you!

The DiveXtras Piranha P1 PTB weighs 24 pounds and is airline travel legal, using four 20 volt 5 Ah (100 watts each) power tool batteries. I measured mine at 215 fps with my side mount rebreather and cave diving configuration. Speed for a free diver would be really fast. It produces 63 pounds of thrust and burn time at max thrust is 50 minute, with 150 minutes of burn time at cruise speed (150 fpm for a double tank diver). You can also get a custom fitted hard case for it.

Had an Aquaprop blow up on the boat I was on this Saturday. User error, seems like the diver felt it get more negative throughout the dive but elected not to say anything back on the boat. Halfway back the lithium battery cooked off (I imagine due to saltwater short circuit) and blew out the tube off the front. This sailed across the deck and broke a divers ankle.

Remember to be wary of Lithium batteries if you abuse them...

5AB35465-8808-4157-95CC-F8E5C9D3540D.jpeg

F7250FEC-0D1C-4267-B029-F19703B895BD.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom