Stupid question - why can’t I vacuum seal my PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct, the increased atmospheric pressure would still be transmitted to all the individual components, BUT would be equalized throughout the entire volume of the device as long as all gas was replaced with liquid or solid material. Versus if you just wrapped a vessel with a flexible membrane that trapped interior gas, the compression of that gas at depth would result in inward force around the perimeter, "crushing" the contents.

Essentially, the same effect as how your hand doesn't "feel" any squeeze when exposed to pressure outside your drysuit, since there aren't any gas pockets inside your hand - your skin doesn't squeeze your bones, but with your drysuit if you don't add gas during a descent, your suit vacuum packs your exterior as the interior gas compresses with depth.
I doubt the oil would get into and replace all the air spaces in the PLB. If it did, al would be well. So long as the oil did not interfere with the functioning of the unit in any way.

It is so much easier and safer and less messy to just buy a DryFob.

I doubt the oil would get into and replace all the air spaces in the PLB. If it did, al would be well. So long as the oil did not interfere with the functioning of the unit in any way.

It is so much easier and safer and less messy to just buy a DryFob.

Seems to work fine on all the Aladdin and uwatec dive computers....

Seems to work fine on all the Aladdin and uwatec dive computers....
Those are designed to have the oil inside. They are not devices meant to be used in the air that you are trying to fill with oil and hopefully get the oil into all the air spaces.

Those are designed to have the oil inside. They are not devices meant to be used in the air that you are trying to fill with oil and hopefully get into all the air spaces.

I understand...

But not so sure those batteries where intended to be in oil...

I would question if an electrolyte capacitor should/can be submerged in oil...

Many underwater items have been pressure proofed by filling with oil.

Agreed. But if the oil is not a conductor, how does it matter?
Potentially, the oil could chemically react with the plastic jacket of an electrical component, softening or dissolving.

Potentially, the oil could chemically react with the plastic jacket of an electrical component, softening or dissolving.
Yeah, I'm sure you could use an oil that is harmful. But mineral oil and silicone oil are what is commonly used (see link in post #7).

I was not worried to much about the oil being conductive.
I was more concerned about oil getting into the electrolyte... and or air being trapped inside the films.

I know it works for batteries.

It actually quite amazing how tough components are.....

I just have this picture of having that PLB full of oil slip out of your hands when you need it the most ...
Best to get a case ... you can also secure your PLB to the case, add some more safety gadgets into it (as others have already said)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom