Stupid question - why can’t I vacuum seal my PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the responses. I might try it when the battery starts dying just to see how crushed it gets but I guess I had assumed that a modern solid state electronic device could survive 3 atm without getting damaged.

Thanks for all the responses. I might try it when the battery starts dying just to see how crushed it gets but I guess I had assumed that a modern solid state electronic device could survive 3 atm without getting damaged.
As pointed out, it's not about the electronics, it's about the plastic case that it's in. It is not designed nor build to withstand the pressure.

I believe @tmassey had tried a similar bag approach and had a scary story of coming out of the water to discover many urgent voicemails and texts from the coast guard because the pressure on the PLB in a bag had caused buttons to be pushed. He called back just in time to prevent the helicopter from taking off ..

He talks about it in his early review of the XL canister .. which I'll take the opportunity to blatantly promote again with this link :wink: https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/dryfob-xl-affordable-canister-for-plb

Of course there are other options available for cannisters also, and this thread provides lots of insight into mounting and using a cannister and would be applicable to most if not all cannisters you might choose.
We've also added mounting/attachment tips and device size/fit lists on our website should you choose to use a DRYFOB. FAQ - DRYFOB Many would also apply, regardless of the cannister you choose.

Dry Fob also make a large version of their car key container for PLBs @Jaan

Already have the original and just bought the XL for Malpelo and other big dives.

Once dived with a mobile phone in the drysuit a few times... Survived just fine, but some tiny camera internals warped from compression 🫠

I believe @tmassey had tried a similar bag approach and had a scary story of coming out of the water to discover many urgent voicemails and texts from the coast guard because the pressure on the PLB in a bag had caused buttons to be pushed. He called back just in time to prevent the helicopter from taking off ..

He talks about it in his early review of the XL canister .. which I'll take the opportunity to blatantly promote again with this link :wink: https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/dryfob-xl-affordable-canister-for-plb

Of course there are other options available for cannisters also, and this thread provides lots of insight into mounting and using a cannister and would be applicable to most if not all cannisters you might choose.
We've also added mounting/attachment tips and device size/fit lists on our website should you choose to use a DRYFOB. FAQ - DRYFOB Many would also apply, regardless of the cannister you choose.
Good points. The PLB I have comes with a whip antenna than needs to be unwrapped from the case then pulled up 180 degrees in order to activate. I don’t think there’s any way this would happen underwater while in a vacuum sealed bag.

I guess it’s possible it could get crushed and become inoperative but in the last 5 years I’ve taken it flying with me on over 500 flights and it’s been abused, stepped on, dropped and still works fine - but I guess I should just buy the case!

I was promised my nautilus lifeline will ship next week so hopefully I’ll get found one way or another if I need it.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I’ll stick to using my vacuum sealer for steaks.

I have used it for glues that tend to have a shelf life after opening.

Fiy. Seal all is great for fixing fuel tanks...
Even when leaking.

Attachments

• 20240603_101956.jpg
    20240603_101956.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 19
Thats a funny looking steak :wink: haha .. Those things are great for preserving freezables. everything seems to last longer and taste better. Well, maybe not the glue ..haha

Back
Top Bottom