Stupid question -- do SP jets come in a size smaller than Med?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The blades on the Medium and Large are the same size, but the blade on the XL's (XXL's also) are approximately 3 1/2" longer.

Most folks that I've heard who could wear both preferred the XL over the L, due to the greater surface area available for propulsion, but some really like the short blades for tight spaces (like wreck penetrations)

Aloha, Tim

That's the exact reason why XL is always higher value at the used market including eBay.:05: "The Market Tells...."

kidspot:
The blades on the Medium and Large are the same size, but the blade on the XL's (XXL's also) are approximately 3 1/2" longer.

Most folks that I've heard who could wear both preferred the XL over the L, due to the greater surface area available for propulsion, but some really like the short blades for tight spaces (like wreck penetrations)

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:

Aloha, Tim

now i wanna trade in my large for the xls. my booties were thin so they flopped around when i got the xls

kidspot:

Aloha, Tim

if i could get a thicker bootie, would you suggest i tarde in my large for the xl? would the 3 1/2" in blade length be a significant difference in propulsion?

If you're going to switch you might try a thicker pair of boots, or even better a hard soled boot as they provide a more comfortable footbed with Jets. They make it easier on your arches.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
If you're going to switch you might try a thicker pair of boots, or even better a hard soled boot as they provide a more comfortable footbed with Jets. They make it easier on your arches.

Aloha, Tim

you think its worth it? il will esentially be throwing away perfectly good booties and trading the large( imho fine with me but always want something better) with the xl and getting new booties for em? if the propulsuion distance is not really that big then il stick with the large

I wouldn't suggest doing so, but if possible I'd recommend borrowing a pair and trying first - no sense "throwing away perfectly good booties..."

On the other hand, if you are happy with your current ones, don't worry about it, when you get the chance to try a larger size do so, like when you come to Maui and I loan you a pair to try out :wink: ...

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
On the other hand, if you are happy with your current ones, don't worry about it, when you get the chance try a larger size do so, like when you come to Maui and I loan you a pair to try out :wink: ...

Aloha, Tim

im really happy with the larges and if i dint stummble on this thread i would have thought they were the ones for me. but knowing that the xls have greater propulsion im very curious! my lds can trade my larges with used xls

kidspot:
As Camshaft pointed out, looks like you've got some "vintage" Jets ... probably worth more :wink:

Any chance you can post a picture of one of your cats in the fin? I'll add it to my website for a touch of comedy relief :D

Aloha, Tim

Wow, now I read from somewhere they also might be of slightly different kind of rubber... I like my fins heavy, so if I swapped to newer version I sure hope the newer ones aren't going to be lighter. Anyone know if the foot pocket is more supple in the new ones or remodeled in any way?

Then again, I looked at you comparision page Tim, and noticed (to my horror) that the height of the foot pocket is the same for M and L. Bang. I measured my 'vintage', and you are dead on for that version too - so I guess I can't expect an improvement on that if I L.

Now I am confused as what to do. The M pocket is too long (or OK since it's not too too long), and I would not gain any height for my arch with swapping to L. I guess I will just have to try to stuff hard sole bootie into M and see if my feet go purple or white? Agh. Better keep on looking for the pirates. Keep them suggestions coming since Japan sure sounds a bit far-fetched...

Re: cats - they sure have availed themselves to many a compromised photoshoot. I'll try to bait them. My Jets have the original rubber straps, so I am worried those would be gone if I leave them around, so it will have to be supervised scene. I am sure lil bro (aka Pinny) will be interested, and big bro aka Tube will follow suit even though his head won't fit into the pocket after all the separation anxiety eating this summer (due to my diving absences).

unfortunately from what I've read the newer Jets are lighter than the "vintage" ones you have, so that may not be of much help.

I remember reading a thread where someone suggested putting their Jets out in the sun to soften up the rubber, then reshape the foot pocket to better fit their boot... I've been meaning to try this myself, but have not gotten around to it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom