stupid newbie/snorkling/knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driver_X:
Hello -- I am going to Puerto Rico in April and going snorkling 3-4 days. Would like to try scuba but we'll see. I did some research on dive knives and it looks like you all fasten them around your legs.

I'll just probably be snorkling but I would like to get a knife. why? who knows, maybe a giant squid will attack me. Okay, I'll be honest, I just think it will look cool.

here's the question. for snorkling, would you suggest the same strap aroudn the thigh? is that comfortable with the suit? any other suggestions?

Thanks mucho!

One common use for a knife is to signal your
buddy by banging the pommel against a tank.

So, along with all the other helpful advice the
board is offering, I would recommend that you
shlep along a tank so you have something to
bang that knife against.

You do buddy-snorkel, don't you?

--Mike

Well, I think it's a little over kill, but, I use a fog cutter(the best of both worlds, the handle clips together for a knife, and when you unclip the handle, a pair of shears) I carry it on my inflater hose for easy access. As a skin diver, you have no inflator hose, but the system comes with leg straps. So you can attach it to your leg if you like.

Dive safe/Train hard,
Joe

638844-Berserk%20cosplay.jpg

Man you need to get one of those ... you know things they use to cut down jungles when making a path? Dude those are awsome! Man strapped to you leg your going to be a chick magnet.

I would just rent a small personal sub for the day and you wont have to worry about fishing line entanglement, and that should solve all your problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom