stupid newbie/snorkling/knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driver_X

Reaction score
Hello -- I am going to Puerto Rico in April and going snorkling 3-4 days. Would like to try scuba but we'll see. I did some research on dive knives and it looks like you all fasten them around your legs.

I'll just probably be snorkling but I would like to get a knife. why? who knows, maybe a giant squid will attack me. Okay, I'll be honest, I just think it will look cool.

here's the question. for snorkling, would you suggest the same strap aroudn the thigh? is that comfortable with the suit? any other suggestions?

Thanks mucho!

If you want to look cool, get a big one and strap it on your leg. Make sure you get one that you wouldn't mind losing....

Don't cut yourself.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Diver x,

To start: Welcome to scubaboard.

I have been skindiving for quite some time now and just changing over to scuba. Honestly I have only once had the occasion when I could have used something to cut with. Personally I would skip the knife and get a pair of crash shears. They are stainless steel and cut almost anything. Many places are outlawing dive knifes as there have been problems with their misuse.

The shears will cut spider wire fishing line much faster than any knife will. Spiderwire is dangerious stuff. It will slice through your skin long before you can break it. Most knives I have seen would have to abrade it, where as the shears can make a quick opposing cut.

JMHO, please take it for its cost.

I have a small knife (cut off steak knife) on my harness and a even smaller (and very sharp) Z-knife on my computer's wrist strap.

As far as where to mount one while snorkleing, I guess the leg is as good a place as any.

Yeah, I would get a nice big one, if you want to look cool. I think chicks will dig it! I think most people will probley look at you wondering what you need that for and you might not look so cool, but hey what do I know.

Snorkeling?

No tanks = you can strap a broadsword to your back.

Thanks for the quick replies, especially about the shears and Z-knife. Seriously, I don't want to be paranoid just going snorkling but I saw one of those disaster shows where a guy got wrapped up in some line, I think from a sailboat, and drowned. I appreciate the advice.

Go for the broadsword!

Really make an impression lopping a few heads off! Let's see, was that impression or fear, I always get those two mixed up...

Seriously though, put the real tool, a pair of shears, in your pocket. Those work best for the real danger. I mean you can't fight a shark with the knife because a shark bite is even cooler than the knife. Nurses dig shark bites!

Two words: Pig Sticker :D

Have a blast!

-J.-

driver_X:
but I saw one of those disaster shows where a guy got wrapped up in some line, I think from a sailboat, and drowned. I appreciate the advice.

Yeah I saw that too it was a real bummer bad way to croak out being drownded and all because he could have just cut his way out and that would have been the end of that.

All our interns have Glocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom