Stupid ebay bidding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Awap is posting this thread primarily for entertainment value. I doubt that he's upset that he was outbid. It's not like he needs another reg.

I have always found bidding strategy and psychology on Ebay to be quite interesting as I see the bid amount on some items exceed their apparent value, especially when you can google the item and find it from an on line retailer for less.

I have seen bidding wars erupt and have been tempted at times to exceed my previously determined amount, especially when the successful bidder has beat me before in an cyberspace "Oh yeah, I'll show you" which makes the seller very happy. Same psychology that has people offering 500K for a house that should sell for $380K max.

I worked in a dive shop that was near a major Sunday morning swap meet in Socal drive in theater in the 1980s. We would always get people in with used gear that they had just purchased at the swap meet asking about servicing but really wanting reassurance that they got a good deal. Most of the time they got what they paid for. Sometimes they got took. Some people got great deals, but not many. Often, the shop, which also sold used rental equipment, could meet or beat the price and offer a limited warranty. I guess the only difference between today and yesterday is that on Ebay, everybody knows if you got taken to the cleaners and then go on line and tell everyone else about it.

I have one just like it, a late model with the heavy yoke. It is the newest regulator I own. Considering you pretty much can't buy a metal second at any price and at the price they are asking for the plastic trash seconds I wouldn't consider it that bad a price.

...hmmm, MARES presently sells some NEW 2009 reg sets with all metal 2nd-stages, although admitedly, MARES 2nd stages don't have adjustment knobs, if that's important. Also, I believe Scubapro also offers all-metal 2nd stage models. With respect to E-Bay, in a market economy, something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.....I;m not a camera expert, but for example, some UW housings are VERY expensive, will only fit ONE camera model...and that type of diver, needing to replace an older model camera is likely willing to pay substantially more for a replacement version of that older camera that's compatable with his/her spendy UW housing...so sometimes there's more to someone 'overpaying' for something on E-Bay than meets the eye.

... but for example, some UW housings are VERY expensive, will only fit ONE camera model...and that type of diver, needing to replace an older model camera is likely willing to pay substantially more for a replacement version of that older camera that's compatable with his/her spendy UW housing...so sometimes there's more to someone 'overpaying' for something on E-Bay than meets the eye.

Yeah, that is a good point, never thought about that!

I don't know...Its a late production Mk 5 with heavy yoke, SPEC swivel cap, 5 port turret and 2 7/16" HP ports, the R109 is in good shape (although it is either a lot older than the Mk 5 or the rubber purge cover has been replaced with an older one), and annual service parts are still readily available. It would be hard to get a new reg that performed nearly that well for twice the final bid price.

old regs are kinda like old trucks and SUVs - condition is everything.

Compare the $180 deal with the $40 deal: Scubapro DIVERS SCUBA Regulator Buddy Breather+ - eBay (item 220382702547 end time Mar-29-09 15:40:28 PDT)

The chrome on the $40 deal does not look to be in quite as good a shape but same vintage Mk5 with same features. The 109 in the $40 set is newer and the SPG looks better.

DA - How can you see that the HP ports are 7/16 rather than 3/8ths? Is this an inference based on the other vintage indicators (heavy yoke, ambient chamber, and plastic saddle)?

An item ALWAYS sells for what it "should" sell for. The price any particular item should sell for is that agreed upon by a willing buyer and seller.

Whether that price is higher or lower than what a different buyer/seller pair would agree upon is an entirely different issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom