Stupid Business Trip to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryBDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have to go to Hawaii for business (yes, poor, poor me). Guess what I plan to do with my free time? I’ll try and not rub it in - too much.

Last year, I switched to a BP/W with LP95 steel tank. I can dive Aquarena in a 5mil with no weights and the Texas gulf with a 3/2 shorty and no weights. Haven't tried it out with an AL80 though.

I’m taking my own gear but will use rented AL80 tanks. Any idea how much weight I’ll need to add to do Hawaii in a 5mil with an AL80?

LP95 is -11 to -4 AL80 is -1.6 to +2.8 (full to empty)

I have my own idea but want to run it pass my fellow swampers and rub it in – just a little. :D

From your specs I would say add 8lbs to be fairly close to the way you were diving with the 95 and no weight.

I have to go to Hawaii for business (yes, poor, poor me). Guess what I plan to do with my free time? I’ll try and not rub it in - too much.

Last year, I switched to a BP/W with LP95 steel tank. I can dive Aquarena in a 5mil with no weights and the Texas gulf with a 3/2 shorty and no weights. Haven't tried it out with an AL80 though.

I’m taking my own gear but will use rented AL80 tanks. Any idea how much weight I’ll need to add to do Hawaii in a 5mil with an AL80?

LP95 is -11 to -4 AL80 is -1.6 to +2.8 (full to empty)

I have my own idea but want to run it pass my fellow swampers and rub it in – just a little. :D

10 for 5mil or dry suit in salt water + 7 for the tank diff - 6 for BP = 12 lbs (rounded up because you don't want to be light at the end of the dive)

First off, CONGRATS! What island, ill assume Oahu?

Is the BP al or steel?

I think 12lbs + 6(assuming steel) is a ton of weight for a 5mm. Depending on diver size, when i taught in Hawaii most divers were in the 12-14 range assuming average sized male. I am 5'11" 170 and I use a 5mm suit and without a BP i was at 8-10lbs.

Just do a boat dive, most boats have plently of weight on them, guess high (16 total) the first dive and slowly take some out as you go.

My initial guess is 8 or 10 pounds. I'm using a 6lb BP so that would put me at 14 to 16 lb total. The harness is basic so there is no padding to add buoyancy. I'll probably be too heavy but better than too light. At the end of my first dive, I'll do a buoyancy check with a near empty tan k and adjust from there. I'll be on Kauai.

sounds like your right on track! enjoy kauai and try to get out to nihau to dive. awesome diving !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom